Vegan Sour Cream is an easy recipe that’s made with only 6 ingredients and in 5 minutes. It’s thick, creamy, tangy and perfect to use in any dish where sour cream is required.
I have tried to make this sour cream with healthy ingredients so as to make it low in calories and also low in carbohydrates too.
It is so perfect and versatile that goes well in any Mexican-inspired dish. It’s an excellent substitute for regular dairy sour cream and wonderfully works on baked potatoes.
Ingredients for Vegan Sour Cream
Extra firm tofu
Raw cashew Nuts
Apple cider vinegar
Unsweetened almond milk
How to make this Vegan Sour Cream
- It’s a one step recipe. So, first and the only step is to combine all the ingredients in a food processor/blender and blend it until its smooth and creamy.
- Lastly, now, spoon it out in a glass jar to refrigerate and use when needed.
I love to make my own food. It gives me a lot of flexibility to use the ingredients that I want and the type of ingredients. Therefore, I end up using the freshest and the healthiest ones.
- Most importantly, use a powerful blender or a food processor for this so that the sour cream becomes smooth and creamy.
- Another important thing is that I have used the twin pack of extra firm tofu. Therefore, it was easy to measure tofu, since I used the exact half of the twin pack. Rather, you may use the regular big pack of 15 ounce and subsequently divide it in two halves.
- For this recipe, there is no need to press tofu. Therefore, simply drain the excess water that comes with the package.
- I have used whole raw cashew nuts in this recipe but chopped unsalted cashew nuts also work here.
- I have used almond milk to keep it low in calories but feel free to use any dairy free milk.
Frequently asked questions:
How long do they last?
It lasts for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator in an air tight glass container.
In which recipes can I use this vegan sour cream?
It pairs well with any Mexican dish or baked potatoes.
Can I substitute cashew nuts with something else?
I have not tried it with any other nuts, however, I can guarantee that cashew nuts work best in this recipe.
Did you make this recipe?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Vegan Sour cream is an easy recipe that’s made with only 6 ingredients and in 5 minutes. It’s thick, creamy, tangy and perfect to use in any dish where sour cream is required.
- 1/2 of 15 oz extra firm tofu ( not silken tofu) (drained)
- 1/4 cup raw whole cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
In a food processor/blender combine all the ingredients
and blend it until smooth and creamy.
Spoon it out in a glass jar and use immediately
- Pressing of tofu in this recipe is not required. Just drain and remove the excess water.
- It’s easier to measure ½ of 15 oz tofu if you buy a twin pack. In that case use only one of the twin packs for this recipe.
- This recipe stores well in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks in a glass container.