These addictive butter free and vegan Snowball Cookies are easy holiday dessert. It’s made with few simple ingredients and are filled with walnuts and rolled in powdered sugar. It’s great all year sweet treat but absolutely suitable as Christmas dessert because these looks so festive.
They are also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies. Traditionally, these cookies are loaded with butter but since I like to make my desserts healthier and more guilt free, I made it oil free and butter free.
I also made it gluten free using the ingredients that would fit into most diet types so everybody can enjoy holidays with this snowball cookie recipe.
Its simple, easy, not much pre-planning is required and absolutely delectable for all ages.
Ingredients you will need:
- Almond flour
- Powdered sugar
- Oat milk
- Vanilla extract
- More powdered sugar for rolling
I have used these easily available ingredients in this recipe which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then, I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
- Almond flour – I wanted to make these cookies healthier. Almonds are high in omega 3, protein, fiber and many other nutrients. Moreover, it is gluten free too so fits into almost all types of diet.
- Walnuts – these are easily available all year round. It’s a low GI ingredient with many minerals and nutrition.
- Powdered sugar – it is true that I like to avoid processed food in my recipes but this powdered sugar is a must in this recipe. It gives these vegan cookies a very snowy look which reminds us of a white Christmas.
- Oat milk – I prefer oat milk over other dairy free milks for my recipes because of its creamy and subtle sweet flavor. Overall, this enhances my recipes better since most of them are oil free.
- Banana – I used this fruit to balance the sweetness without adding too much sugar. This way I gave these cookies a healthier touch as well.
Overall, you must have realized that easy snowball cookie recipe is made with the simplest possible ingredients. And, I am sure you must be having them already in your pantry or in the fridge.
So now, just go through the easy steps to bake them. I am sure you are very eager to bake them right now.
How to make Snowball Cookies
Firstly, I combined all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Secondly, I blended all the wet ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Next, I folded in wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whipped up a soft dough like batter.
Thereafter, with the help of a cookie scoop, I scooped out 12 cookies on the prepared cookie sheet.
Afterwards, I took each cookie between my palms and shaped them into round ball with a very slight flat top. Then, I placed them back in the cookie sheet.
Later, I baked them in the middle rack of the pre-heated oven for about 15-20 minutes.
Once done, I turned it off, took it out and let them cool down.
Lastly, I rolled each snowball cookie in the powdered sugar generously and served.
We all heartily enjoyed them. In fact, they were all gone within minutes.
I must have baked about 4 batches of these by now and all of them vanishes the same day.
Till now, I never got a chance to store for long term use but I know that I would love to bake a bigger batch and store them for months.
- Make sure to follow the measurements as mentioned because we do not want a runny batter. It should be dough like.
- These baked cookies should be dry from the top and brownish from the bottom. These do not stick to the parchment paper so you can gently move one and check its bottom. Do not over bake.
- When rolling in powdered sugar try to roll before they completely cool down. It works better if still little on a warmer side for the sugar to stick. At the same time, they should not be too hot or the powdered sugar will melt.
This is the simple Christmas dessert I have made so far. I am so excited to share this with you all.
They taste best the same day. You may store in at room temperature in an air container for the whole day or freeze them for a month in an air tight container. Just thaw them by placing it out of the freezer and bring them room temperature. You may also refrigerate these cookies in an air tight container without rolling into powdered sugar. When ready bring them to room temperature, roll them in sugar and enjoy.
I have made them with all the healthy ingredients except powdered sugar. But powdered sugar plays a vital roll in this recipe. I have used only nuts as the base of these cookies and tried to sweeten them mostly with banana. I made them oil free and butter free too. So therefore, these cookies are healthier if you skip rolling them in the powdered sugar. Or else they do contain sugar and so should be enjoyed moderately.
These tastes like sugary, nutty and melt in mouth, soft and chewy cookies.
These cookies are known as Mexican wedding cookies, butterballs, Russian tea cakes and snowball cookies. It is believed that they originated in Russia in 1800s.
I am sure you must be drooling by now. So, I would insist that you get started with this snowball Christmas cookies ASAP. It hardly takes few minutes and is absolutely an effortless dessert.
You may also like:
- Easy Ginger Cookies
- Eggnog Cookies
- One Bowl Tahini Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Ganache Protein Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Quinoa Cookies
- Carrot Sweet Potato Almond Cookies
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe image because we would love to see what you cooked.
If you desire to explore more of my delicious recipes then you may checkout my cookbooks.
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 – 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients and mix it well with a spoon.
- In a blender combine all the wet ingredients andblend it smooth.
- Now, fold in wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and form a dough like soft batter.
- With the help of a cookie scoop place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheet. Now, take each cookie ball between your palms and gently shape them round without breaking. Place them again on the cookie sheet. Bake it in the middle rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies dries up at the top and the bottom becomes brownish. Turn it off and bring it out. Place it on a flat surface and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes. (Do not overbake).
- Now, take the powdered sugar for rolling in a bowl and roll each cookie generously in it without breaking the cookies. Place the cookies on a flat surface and let it cool down further to room temperature.
- Enjoy immediately or store for later use.
- For storing: Store these cookies at room temperature for a day in an air tight container or freeze them for a month in a freezer bag. Simply thaw them to room temperature by placing them outside the freezer on a counter. You may also refrigerate them for a month without rolling in sugar. When ready to serve just bring them to room temperature and roll in powdered sugar, enjoy.
- The banana should be ripe but not over ripe or else the cookie will have a strong taste of banana.
- This recipe makes 12 cookies and the serving size is 1 cookie per person.