This Homemade Dairy Free Salted Caramel Protein Shake is packed with essential nutrients and is incredibly easy to make. Therefore, skip the store-bought options and create your own scrumptious vegan milkshake at home.
Ideal for post-workout recovery, this salted caramel protein shake doubles as a delightful after-school snack for my kids, thanks to its gorgeous taste.
For a smooth, sweet experience, omit the salt and savor it as is.
Oatmeal’s versatility shines through, and introducing it into this milkshake smoothie was a stroke of genius. The oats contribute creaminess and satiety, along with the right dose of carbohydrates and fiber.
How to chose protein powder
Every protein powder has its own taste and texture. The best way to chose your protein powder is to first figure out what is best to digest for you. It could be whey, vegan, soy, pea and so on.
Next, your goal should be to find the one that has complete amino acid profile and has zero or minimum added sugar in it. The protein content should be 20 grams or higher.
Many vegan protein powder may not have complete amino acid profile which is ok as long as you eat other variety of plant protein.
Hence, depending on your choice of protein powder the taste of this caramel protein shake may change.
I opted for Naked’s unflavored vegan pea protein powder, lending a distinct taste. I often include it in my morning waffles for a healthier start to the day.
Why you will love this
Vegan and gluten free
Packed with fiber
Easy and kid friendly
only 7 ingredients
Almond milk – Even though any dairy free milk will work in this recipe, I prefer almond milk because it has no distinct taste and keeps this smoothie low in calories and carb.
Almond butter – Unflavored and unsweetened almond butter works in this recipe.
Dates – Pitted mejdool dates are the best types of dates that works here.
Salt – Simply add regular salt for the ultimate flavors.
Oats – Old fashioned rolled oats works great here. Instant oats can also be used in this recipe.
For detailed measurement of ingredients please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to make
Firstly, soak oats in water and keep it aside for 5 minutes.
Secondly, in a blender, combined dates, almond butter, almond milk, salt, protein powder.
Drain the excess liquid from oats and combine it in the blender along with other ingredients.
Thereafter, blend it smooth and creamy.
Afterwards, pour it in your favorite glass and garnish.
The nice and subtle flavor of this milkshake was super refreshing and satisfying.
- A combination of dates and maple syrup as sweetener in this recipe works great.
- You may add your homemade caramel sauce while blending and skip dates.
- For chocolate flavor you may add 1 tsp of cocoa powder.
How to serve
- You may roughly coat the inside of the serving glass with caramel sauce. Then pour the blended smoothie in it.
- For healthier option you may make a mixture of little maple syrup and almond butter. Whip it and coat the inside of the glass.
- Top it with vegan whipped cream, chocolate chips and drizzle some caramel sauce.
- Make sure to soak oats for the thick and extra creamy texture.
- I recommend using high speed blender for this recipe for the best results.
Yes! it is very high in protein that will keep you full for longer. At the same time I have added dates and oats into it for the requited amount of fiber and many micronutrients.
Its sweet, salty, earthy and refreshingly umami. It is not too salty because the saltiness is well balanced with the sweetness of dates.
Honestly, this tastes best when served immediately. However, if you have to make it ahead of time then do not garnish. Just blend and keep it aside in the refrigerator. When ready pulse it again so all the ingredients mix well and top it as suggested and enjoy.
You may add spinach to it but the original taste may change.
More related recipes
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Homemade Dairy Free Salted Caramel Protein Shake
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (soaked in 1/4 cup water for 5 minutes)
- 5 pitted mejdool dates
- 1 tbsp almond butter (unsweetened and unflavored)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 scoop unflavored vegan protein powder (depending on the nutrition label of your protein powder)
- 1/4 tsp pinch of salt
- Soak oats in water for 5 minutes and drain the excess liquid if any.
- In the blender, combine dates, almond milk, almond butter, drained oats, protein powder, vanilla extract and salt. Blend it smooth and creamy.
- Pour it in the serving glasses and garnish with suggested toppings. Enjoy!
- I used naked pea protein powder which has 27g of protein per servings. Others may have different protein content. Depending on your preference and choice of it, the nutritional value may vary.
- You may use soy milk or other plant milk but keep in mind that the nutritional value including with calories may vary.
- Also, depending on your choice of toppings the nutritional value may vary again especially the calories.