Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa has a perfect blend of flavors and is a unique twist to traditional salsa. Its packed with juicy fresh pineapple, zesty jalapeno, crunchy red onion and fresh cilantro that will take your taste buds on a delicious tropical journey.
This salsa recipe is a great combination of citrus fruits with sweet, spicy and tangy flavors. This pineapple jalapeno salsa is definitely a show stopper at any BBQ or Grilling parties this season.
So simple and yet big on flavors this pineapple salsa recipe is healthy, easy and quick.
We love pineapples when in season because of it beautiful texture and outstanding taste along with the health benefits.
Health benefits of pineapples
Its packed with vitamins and minerals along with being the loaded with antioxidants. Pineapple also aids in digestion and its bromelain content which is a group of digestive enzymes reduces inflammation. It also boost immunity and reduces the risk of cancer. Its great for speedy recovery after surgery or strenuous exercise.
Hence, my pineapple coconut smoothie is a great post workout recovery beverage.
How to pick a perfect pineapple?
When buying pineapple make sure that it has green leaves and looks fresh from the outside. If you squeeze, it should give a tiny amount but should not be mushy. At the bottom of this fruit, you should be able to smell some sweetness. The most important thing to note that when you pick a pineapple in your hands it should feel heavy and not hollow.
How to store fresh pineapple?
When you buy a perfect pineapple and not using it immediately then its best to refrigerate as is. You may also cut it into chunks and refrigerate the pineapple chunks in container with a tight lid to keep it fresh for longer.
Pineapple – I used fresh pineapple chunks from the store instead of cutting my own. Its quick and convenient. However, getting the whole fresh pineapple and cutting your own chunks will definitely have its own pleasure.
Jalapeno – In order to make this salsa a bit spicy make sure to include its seeds. Jalapeno peppers are usually not super hot but gives a nice kick to this recipe.
Orange – I added orange to this recipe for some color and natural sweetness. Finely chopped fresh oranges does wonders to my pineapple salsa.
Red onion – I specifically used red onion for the wonderful crunch. Also, sweet and savory flavors in this salsa makes it tastier.
Cilantro – this is a must. Make sure to use fresh cilantro for the beautiful aroma in this pineapple jalapeno salsa.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make
Firstly, in a food processor, I roughly crushed fresh pineapple chunks. If you plan to use blender just pulse the chunks once or twice. Do not over do this step and do not blend too much.
Secondly, I spooned it out in a large bowl. Then, I added jalapeno, orange, onion, cilantro and salt to it.
Next, I roughly tossed it. Then, I folded in fresh lemon juice and mixed it well.
Voila! this homemade pineapple salsa was outstanding and when paired with tortilla chips it tasted amazing.
Its flavor, color and taste were all so perfect and well balanced and its the best pineapple salsa recipe we ever enjoyed so far.
The combination of pineapple and jalapeno in salsa was the best thing I could discover.
This pineapple salsa pairs well with tortilla chips but it can also be served as a side with baked taquitos. This will make your appetizer table complete and delicious.
- Make sure to have tiny bites of pineapple in the salsa. Do not blend pineapple completely.
- Add the lemon juice at the last so that it does not overpower the overall flavor of salsa.
It tastes best when served the same day but the leftovers can be refrigerated in a glass container 2-3 days.
You may use fresh pineapple chunks from the store which are ready to use in this salsa. But do not use frozen or canned pineapple chunks for this recipe.
I made it without tomatoes and we loved it. We did not miss tomatoes at all.
More fruit salsa recipes
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa
- 3 cups or 18 oz fresh pineapples chunks
- 1 large jalapeno pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped oranges (see notes)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a food processor combine pineapple chunks and roughly crush them. If using a blender then pulse once or twice. Do not over do this step. There should be bites of pineapple and not its puree.
- Spoon out the crushed pineapple in a mixing bowl along with its juice. Add chopped jalapeno, chopped oranges, chopped onion, chopped cilantro and salt to it. Mix it roughly.
- Fold in lemon juice and mix well. ( Make sure the fruits do not lose its texture too much). Serve with tortilla chips.
- Peel the skin of the orange. Then, separate each slice and roughly remove the outer fiber from each slice. Finely chop each orange slice with a sharp knife. Remove the extra fiber from the orange slices as much as possible. Do not stress over it though.
- This salsa can be refrigerated in a glass container for about 2-3 days.
- Make sure to not puree pineapple. Just crushed pineapple chunks with its juice does the work here. Also, do not chop or dice pineapple because we want almost smashed pineapple in this salsa.
- Add salt on a bit higher side to balance out the sweet and tangy taste of it.