Vegan Seitan Cilantro Masala is a delectable and flavorful entree with a medley of Indian spices and vegan protein. It’s a great substitute for coriander chicken as well.
My recent found of seitan has sufficiently provided me with my protein requirement.
Seitan is a wheat protein and it’s super versatile. It serves as a great substitute to chicken in any recipe.
I have been thinking to come up with some protein rich vegan Indian recipe.
Fortunately, I had a bunch of fresh cilantro sitting in my refrigerator.
Initially, I planned to make some chutney out of it. At that moment, it struck me, to make a recipe similar to coriander chicken with seitan in it. That way I eat enough protein, and satisfy my desire for an Indian masala entree.
How to make Vegan Seitan Cilantro Masala
It only takes 20 minutes for this entree to be served with minimum mess. All you have to is to blend tomatoes, cilantro, cumin seeds, garlic and ginger with some water in a blender.
Thereafter, you may heat oil in a pan, saute onion and cubed seitan. Next, you need to fold in the blended chutney and toss in some more seasonings. Voila! The dish is ready within minutes.
Yes, it’s possible to have a gourmet and lip smacking spread on the dinner table even on a week night.
My entire family enjoyed this entrée. Vegan Seitan Cilantro Masala pairs well with boiled quinoa/steamed rice/ naan and a side onion salad. Even meat lovers would love this entrée and be joyous about vegan dishes. We love this dish and hence I am excited to share my new recipe Vegan Seitan Cilantro Masala with you.
If you want to try out more recipes with cilantro here are some of them from my blog:
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Vegan Seitan Cilantro Masala
For cilantro masala
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 8 oz pack of cubed seitan
- 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- In a blender combine tomato, cilantro, cumin seeds, garlic, ginger and ¼ cup water. Blend it smooth and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and saute onion until brown.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chili powder and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add seitan. Saute and cook covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in the blended cilantro chutney, add salt and the rest of water. Mix and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Turn of the flame and serve warm with steamed rice/quinoa or naan.
- Seitan is available in wholefoods. You may use your own homemade one as well.
- Incase Seitan in not available you may use soy curls for this recipe.