Vegan Jackfruit Turmeric Masala Curry is a wholesome and nutritious meal with Indian flavors. It is a satisfying meal for any dinner night. This entree is made with a variety of flavors and spices that’s easily available in our kitchen pantries.
I cooked jackfruit for the first time. So many jackfruit recipes are rolling over the internet recently, which totally intrigued to try it.
However, I wanted to try out a different recipe and a version of masala curry came to my mind. I found green jackfruit in brine in the store and I immediately got extremely excited. Even though the can was sitting on my kitchen counter for a week I was in no rush because I wanted to come up with some awesome recipe.
How to make Vegan Jackfruit Turmeric Masala Curry
- Finally, I decided to simply go with the flow. So, I started adding herbs and spices into the hot oil.
- Thereafter, I sauteed chopped onions and tomatoes in it.
- Afterwards, I cooked drained jackfruit into the masala along with some water.
- Lastly, I gave it a finishing touch by adding some lightened coconut milk to it. This added little thickness to the masala curry.
- Finally, I garnished it with chopped cilantro and served it warm.
VOILA! We totally loved Vegan Jackfruit Turmeric Masala Curry. The aroma of cinnamon totally attracted us.
The flavor of Indian spices and a mild taste of coconut milk created magic in this entrée. Now, I am totally into cooking jackfruit regularly.
Jackfruit – It’s low in calories and promotes glowing skin. It also fights wrinkles and improves digestion. Jackfruit is loaded with Vitamin A, C, E and Folate. This in turn helps to fight anemia and also promotes bone health.
I am sure that even meat lovers would appreciate Vegan Jackfruit Turmeric Masala Curry and would definitely go back to this recipe over and over again.
I am happy to create such a healthy and delicious entree. It is flavorsome and nutrient dense entree that gets ready in less than 30 minutes.
You may also like:
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Vegan Jackfruit Turmeric Masala Curry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- Pinch of fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 20 oz canned young green jackfruit in brine (drained,rinsed and dried)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add cinnamon stick, garlic paste, ginger paste, fennel seeds and saute for 5 seconds in the oil.
- Add chopped onions and saute until translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Saute and cook covered for couple of minutes until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Mash the tomatoes with the spatula and saute again for 30 seconds.
- Fold in jack fruit.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and saute well for 1 minute. Cook covered for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Remove the lid and saute again for 30 seconds. Add water, mix and cook covered for 2 minutes or until few boils.
- Add coconut milk, salt and sugar. Mix and cook covered for 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Turn off the flame adjust the salt if desired. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm with steamed rice and side salad.
- I used tetra pack lightened coconut milk for this recipe. Do not use thick coconut milk or else this recipe will lose its flavor and texture.
- You may use store bought ginger garlic paste as 2 tsp.