This vegan Hummus Pasta is a Mediterranean inspired dish with creamy texture and lots of taste in one plate. Ready in less than 30 minutes this is a perfect weeknight comfort meal.
I usually have lots of hummus in my refrigerator and always wondered on how to utilize it after a while. Either I ended up overeating or trashing. But then, I came up with the idea of pasta with hummus sauce.
It was on point and a perfect combination of protein and carbohydrate. This was the best hummus pasta and my entire family praised it and enjoyed it.
The entire dish was gone the same evening and I had no leftovers. Since, then I have been making it on rotation along with my vegan gyros.
So, whenever, we are craving for a fusion combination then this hummus pasta and instant pot taco pasta is our top pick.
For a new variety of sauce you must try my beetroot sauce pasta. It has outstanding taste and so is so beautiful to present.
Therefore, I am here to share this awesome hummus pasta recipe with you.
Ingredients for easy hummus pasta
Sun dried tomatoes (not soaked in oil)
Vegan parmesan cheese
Crushed chili flakes
It’s the simplest and tastiest dish with being tangy, salty and delicious in every bite. The ingredients are simple too and I am sure you want to dive deep into its details.
Pasta – any pasta of your choice works in this recipe. Rotini style works best here.
Vegetable broth – in order to make this as oil free hummus pasta, I used vegetable broth to sauté onion. This wonderfully enhanced the flavors and made it healthier too.
Sun dried tomatoes – make sure to get the ones in a packet. It should not be the soaked in oil.
Hummus – I personally like plain hummus here so any store bought or home-made ones works here.
Nutritional yeast – this gives a nice cheesy effect.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Hummus Pasta
Firstly, I cooked pasta as per the package instructions. Then, I drained it and kept it aside.
Secondly, I heated a nonstick pan and added veggie broth to it.
Then, I sauteed onion in it until they were translucent.
Next, I tossed in sun dried tomatoes and sautéed it for 2 minutes.
Thereafter, I stirred in hummus and let it cook until it started to bubble.
Afterwards, I added water, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to it. Then, I let it cook covered for 2 minutes.
Lastly, I folded in cooked pasta and turned off the flame. I let it rest covered for 2 minutes.
At this point I did a taste test for the salt and then garnished it.
Totally decadent….it was an instant hit.
- Make sure to heat the pan first and then add veggie broth. Immediately add onions or else veggie broth will start to burn.
- If you think your sauce is too thick feel free to add ¼ cup more water but cook it well for 3 minutes covered.
- While folding pasta make sure all pasta is well covered with the hummus sauce.
This taste best when served immediately. However, refrigerate the leftovers to be used the next day. Warm it up in the microwave before serving.
Yes! If you use healthy pasta that’s made with quinoa or ancient grain or even whole grain that would be complex carbohydrate. Hummus has lots of protein and especially if you make it at home, you can control its sodium content thereby making it healthier. I used oil free sun-dried tomatoes and sautéed onions in vegetable broth to add more nutrition. Hence, overall, it is a healthy dish which can be enjoyed frequently.
This dish is good on its own and is sufficient and filling. However, if you want to serve sides then you may go for some like green salad on the side. If you like to add breads then any dinner rolls work here.
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you will enjoy this hummus with pasta as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
- vegan parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- crushed chili flakes
- Cook pasta as per the package instructions. Drain and keep it aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan and add vegetable broth to it and sauté onions in it until translucent.
- Add sun dried tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes for a nice toasty effect.
- Stir in hummus and let it cook for 1 minute or until it starts to bubble. Add water, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to it. Stir and cook covered for 2 minutes at medium flame.
- Fold in pasta and mix well. Turn it off and let it rest covered for 1 minute. Taste test salt and garnish. Serve hot.
- I used ancient grain pasta here because its healthy. You may use any pasta of your choice. Rotini works best here.
- Any hummus works either store bought or homemade.
- Vegan parmesan cheese is optional.
- This taste best when served immediately. Refrigerate the leftovers to be used the next day. Warm it up nicely in a microwave.