This Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry is made with a medley of spices and herbs. It has a nice Indian flavor some fusion herbs as well. Its a protein packed easy family meal.
Lentils are one kind of proteins that my family loves to eat.
I personally like to cook lentils in a variety of ways and try to be as creative as possible.
This time while I was boiling green lentils some weird ideas cropped into my mind. I looked inside my refrigerator and found some fresh basil herbs eagerly waiting to be consumed 🙂
I decided to go with my idea and yet I wanted to cook this recipe to perfection in just one attempt (because my family was hungry and was waiting for their dinner) 🙂
Then, again I camouflaged lots of vegetables and few of them being zucchini and broccoli (these vegetable are usually difficult to feed my family) and cooked nicely.
I was totally bowled over with the aroma of Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry.
But…. My test wasn’t over….. the real achievement was still waiting….. the thought was playing in my mind whether my family would eat this entree.
How to cook Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry
Firstly, I cooked lentil with water util soft.
Secondly, I heated oil in a saucepan and added garlic, cumin , red chilies and bay leaf to it.
Next, I sauteed onions and other vegetables in it.
Then, I added cooked lentils to it and seasoned with salt and other spices.
Lastly, I served this curry over a bed of steamed rice.
Whoa…. I won… they all ate happily with smiling faces. I couldn’t believe that even my 4 year old happily ate the lentil curry and said… mmmmmm…. Yoommyyy…… 🙂
SHHHH…. They still didn’t know what vegetable they ate but I make this recipe at least once every week while keeping the secret inside my tummy…. 🙂
Healthy family = happy mommy!!!!!! 🙂
You may also like:
Instant Pot Herbed Masala Lentil Curry
Lentil Broccoli Breakfast Cutlets
Sriracha Lentil Cheese Sandwich
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Basil Vegetable Lentil Curry
- 1 cup dry green lentils (rinsed)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole dry red chilies (broken)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets (cut into bites size)
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Combine lentil and 2 ½ cups water in a pressure cooker and boil until 2-3 whistles (do not overcook to avoid it being mushy).
- Heat oil in a sauce pan and add garlic, cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry red chilies, basil and cilantro. Mix them properly.
- Add onions and saute until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes and cook covered for couple of minutes.
- Add rest of the vegetables and cook until soft but not mushy.
- Add boiled lentils along with its water and mix very well.
- Add salt, chili powder and the rest 1 cup of water.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes or until aromatic and well cooked.
- Serve over steamed rice and enjoy.
- If you do not have pressure cooker you may combine lentil and 2 ½ cups water in a sauce pan and boil covered until lentils are soft enough to be broken with fingers.
- I slightly mashed zucchini and broccoli while cooking with a food masher for my little one so she can’t find what she ate. You can do the same if desired.
Looks very delicious. Can not wait to make this beauty.
Thank you Visiedieni. Hope you get a chance to make this entree and enjoy as much as we did.
YUM! This looks so delicious and fresh. I’m definitely making this soon!
Catrin - the Veganista says
Looks amazing!! <3
Ruthie Ridley says
mmmmm!!!! This looks delicious!
This looks SO delicious! So tasty!
Wow this look incredible, I love curry so much!! I will have to try this recipe out next time I’m craving curry!
Looks so delicious! Anything with cilantro and zucchini is always good in my book.
Thank you Kim. I love zucchini too.
This looks amazing! I love curries!
I never liked lentils growing up, but have since come aorund to enjoy them very much. Thank you for the recipe!
this looks amazing! I always forget how good lentils are!
Using all those fresh vegetables is such a fresh and delicious idea. Hiding them can be even better sometimes (thinking kids)
Thank you Candy.