Easy, delicious, and comforting Sweet Potato Pizza Crust is crispy and delicious to satisfy pizza cravings. Its healthy, yeast free, oil free, vegan, gluten free and made with only 4 ingredients.
Pizza is the most favorite and so perfect for Friday nights. I love rolling pizza dough but this time I wanted to make a different style of crust.
I guess I was being creative and had quite a bit of sweet potatoes in my refrigerator which I wanted to use.
Hence, I came up with sweet potato pizza base recipe. Its so good that even my kids love it. In fact they sometimes like to take it for their school lunch boxes.
About sweet potato pizza
Its nut free and kid friendly
Crispy and taste so good
Easy and quick
Freezer friendly and a make ahead recipe
Health benefits of sweet potatoes
It’s a great source of fiber along with vitamins and minerals. Sweet potatoes enhance brain function and boosts immunity. It’s a rich source of antioxidants and have cancer fighting properties.
More sweet potato recipes
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet Potato Smoothie
Ingredients for vegan sweet potato pizza crust
Brown rice flour
Toppings of your choice
Its as easy as it looks and sounds. Therefore, I insist you that you must make this ASAP.
Sweet potatoes – many varieties of sweet potatoes are available in the market but make sure to buy the one that is orange from the inside. 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes should work in this recipe. However, make sure to boil them very soft so that you can mash easily with a fork.
Brown rice flour – this helps in binding and makes the crust crispier.
Baking powder – you may use certified gluten free baking powder for this recipe. I used it to bring a slight fluff at the center of this crust.
Toppings – I smeared marinara sauce followed by vegan mozzarella cheese and veggies along with dried herbs. You can choose your own toppings.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
Firstly, I boiled the sweet potatoes until soft and then mashed it in a bowl.
Secondly, I combined brown rice flour, baking powder and salt to it.
Next, I mixed it well until it started to form a dough.
Thereafter, I made a smooth dough and placed it at the center of the prepared pizza pan.
Afterwards, I placed another parchment paper on the dough and rolled it until the edges started to break. Then, I shaped it with hands according to the shape of the pan while sealing the edges at the same time.
Later, I poked holes on the rolled dough and baked it in the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes.
Then, I took it out and added the toppings over it and baked it again for 15 minutes or until the vegan cheese was melted. Immediately, I broiled it for 2 minutes and turned it off.
Lastly, I took it out and placed it on a flat counter.
It looked so attractive and tempting at this stage. I quickly sliced and we all devoured every bite of it.
This has become my family favorite comfort weeknight meal.
How to store
Once the leftover slices are completely cooled at room temperature, place them in an air tight container in a single layer and refrigerate for 2-3 days. You may also place the slices in a single layer in a freezer friendly box and freeze for about 1 month.
How to reheat
- If refrigerated, then you may oven toast the slices for 5 minutes or re-bake them at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.
- Or if frozen, then you may oven toast the slices for 6 minutes or re-bake them at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- When rolling the dough with the rolling pin do not roll all the way through. Just roll until the edges start to break. Then shape with hands while sealing the edges at the same time.
- Make sure to shape it to about 10 inch in diameter and you may go up to 12 inches too. The thinner the crust the tastier this would be.
I tested it both way and freezing the ready to eat slices were much easier and simpler rather than freezing the crust.
I made it oil free and gluten free. To bind it I used brown rice flour. Hence, its healthy and delicious too.
I would prefer boiling the sweet potatoes for this recipe. You may boil in microwave by combining water and sweet potatoes in a microwavable bowl and microwave until soft for about 10 minutes pausing at intervals and flipping. You may also boil in Indian pressure cooker or in instant pot.
My other pizza recipes
Oatmeal Almond Pizza
Vegan Pizza Rolls
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and also make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Where to find me?
Follow me on Facebook or on Twitter. You may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images because I would love to see what you cooked.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- toppings of your choice
- Place large sweet potato in your inner pot of instant pot and pour enough water to cover the potato. Close the lid and seal the valve and turn it on at high manual for 10 minutes. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid. Let it cool down and when its easy to handle drain the water. Peel the sweet potato and measure it to 2 cups after roughly mashing it.
- Preheat oven at 375-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a pizza pan with a round parchment paper (parchment paper should be of the same size and shape as the pan). No extra parchment paper should be hanging off the pan. You may spray the pizza pan with cooking spray and then stick the parchment paper so it does not move while shaping the dough.
- In a bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, brown rice flour, baking powder and salt. Mix it well and make a soft smooth dough with the help of your hands.
- Place the dough at the center of the prepared pizza pan and place another parchment paper on top of the dough. Gently press the dough from the center through the parchment paper and roll it round with a rolling pin until the edges start to break. Remove the parchment paper from the top of the dough gently and shape the dough round with your hands making sure to seal the edges at the same time while shaping it. The dough would be approximately about 10 inch in diameter. If you want a thinner crust you may keep pressing and shaping the dough round until it is 12 inches in diameter.
- With the help of a fork poke holes at the center of the crust at intervals. Place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 15 minutes.
- Take it out and add your choice of toppings. Place it back in the oven and bake for another 15-17 minutes or until cheese is well melted. Change the oven setting to broil and broil it only for 2 minutes. Do not over broil or else your pizza will burn. Turn it off and take it out. Slice and enjoy!
- 2 cups mashed potatoes is required for this recipe. So, make sure to measure the potatoes after boiling and mashing. 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium potatoes should be enough for this recipe.
- For 1 large sweet potato the timer for heat setting for your instant pot will be 10 minutes and for 2 medium sweet potatoes the timer heat setting would be 15 minutes.
- Broiling the pizza is optional but it gives a nice charred flavor to the veggies and the crust thereby making the edges crispy. You may however, skip broiling ad bake it for extra 5 minutes.
- This taste best when served immediately. However, the leftovers can be refrigerated in an air tight container for 2-3 days and oven toast it for 5 minutes. You may re-bake at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 8 minutes too.
- You can also freeze the leftover slices in a single layer in a freezer friendly box for about 1 month. Oven toast for 6 minutes or re-bake at 350-degree Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- The nutritional value of the recipe is provided only for the crust. It will vary depending on your choice of toppings.
Interesting way to make pizza with sweet potatoes. It was nice.
Thank you Nancy!
Really like how easy this tasty, homemade pizza crust is to make.
Thank you kathleen!
What a great way to use sweet potato and even better that it involves pizza.
Thank you Dannii!
Gina Abernathy says
I love how easy it is to make a homemade pizza crust.
Thank you Gina!
This was amazing and such a treat! Thank you! Everyone in my family loved it.
So glad that this pizza crust recipe worked for you and that you liked it so much.