With very few ingredients this Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup is a perfect wholesome dish for those cold and busy week nights. It’s vegan and gluten free along with being low in calories.
Ah it’s November and I am darn excited about the upcoming holidays, the shopping, the gifting and so much fun. Of course with that comes the exploration of a variety food but for me it has to be healthy.
I have been trying butternut squash in a variety of dishes recently but I loved the combination of this vegetable with sweet potatoes in a soup form.
One bowl of Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup made my tummy extremely happy and satisfied and this soup topped my list of all the soups so far.
Ingredients for Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
Crushed black pepper
Unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
Pumpkin seeds (to garnish)
How to make this creamy thick Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- Firstly, I combined butternut squash and sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl and seasoned it.
- Secondly, I baked the in a preheat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit.
- Once done, I blended the veggies with the vegetable broth.
- Next, I warmed the blended veggies in a saucepan and mixed in coconut milk.
- Lastly, garnished it with walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
- This soup tastes best when served immediately. Do not freeze it but can be refrigerated for about 2-3 days in an air tight container.
- It pairs well with crisp toast crusty breads
My other popular soups are:
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below and also rate this recipe. You may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram and I will definitely shout it out there.
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 cup peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven at 425 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a cookie sheet/sheet pan with a greased liner.
- In a mixing bowl combine salt, pepper, potatoes and squash and mix well that each pieces of the potatoes and squash are well coated with the seasonings.
- Place the potatoes and squash with ¼ inch gap on the prepared cookie sheet and cover all the pieces with lemon juice.
- Put the sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the potatoes and squash are soft.
- Once the squash and potatoes are baked blend them along with the vegetable broth in a blender.
- Now heat a saucepan and pour the blended stock into it and cook covered for couple of minutes.
- Lastly add the coconut milk and bring to couple of boils and turn off the flame.
- Pour the soup in soup bowls and garnish with walnuts and pumpkin seeds and serve warm or at room temperature.