Moroccan Tempeh Mac and Cheese is my favorite comfort food. Its creamy and cheesy yet high in protein. It is absolutely a delight to the taste buds and yet has an added health to it.
Mac and cheese is definitely the first thing that comes to my mind when I am looking for a comfort food. Pasta anyway is my first preference over any food. Even though its high in carb I try to add health and nutrition to it. Mostly, I grab the whole grain pasta so I am a little happy in my mind.
For some time now, I have been eating store bought mac and cheese. They absolutely taste delicious and outstanding. However, I have been looking to add some vegan protein to it. Thereafter, I wanted to add some different flavor to it.
Basically, I wanted to experiment it with a variety of spices and proteins. I must have experimented like 10 times. When I finally settled with the ingredients like tempeh and moroccan spice I knew I got it.
However, I had to test this recipe 3 times to come to the right consistency and the exact taste that I was looking for. Anytime I tested this recipe I could not stop myself from devouring a bowl of it.
Infact couple of times I even ate it for breakfast…. hahaha…. that’s me.
Ingredients for Moroccan Tempeh Mac and Cheese
Moroccan spice mix
Whole grain elbow pasta
We usually have most of the ingredients in our kitchen. Moroccan spice mix is easily available in any grocery store in the spice section.
How to make Moroccan Tempeh Mac and Cheese
The first thing is to crumble the boiled tempeh then combine it with moroccan spice mix and salt. Next, keep it aside for sometime while prepping for the pasta.
Then, we blend all the ingredients of the cheese sauce until creamy and smooth.
Lastly, we heat oil in a nonstick pan. Then sauté the tempeh and toss in cooked pasta. Lastly, pour in the cheese sauce along with pasta water and salt.
Voila!!!! I can assure you that this Mac and Cheese is going to win your every family member.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you tag @kiipfit on Instagram because I love to see what you cooked.
Moroccan Tempeh Mac and Cheese
- 1 8oz original tempeh (sliced and boiled)
- 1 tbsp moroccan spice mix
- Salt as per taste
For cheese sauce
- 3/4 cup raw cashew nuts (soaked in warm water and drained)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/4 cup plant milk
For mac and cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups whole grain elbow pasta (cooked)
- 1/4 cup pasta water
- Salt as per taste
- In a saucepan boil water. As soon as the water boils add sliced tempeh to it. Turn off the flame and let tempeh soften a bit.
- Drain the water and let tempeh cool down. Once cooled crumble tempeh.
- In a mixing bowl add crumbled tempeh, moroccan spice mix and salt. Mix it with a spoon and keep it aside.
- Soak cashew nuts in warm water for 5-7 minutes. Then drain it.
- In a blender combine all the cheese sauce ingredients and blend it until smooth. (the consistency at this point will be slightly thin). Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan.
- Saute tempeh mixture in it for 3-4 minutes or until you get the aroma of the spice.
- Immediately toss in cooked pasta.
- Now, pour the cheese sauce, pasta water and salt over it. Mix well and turn off the flame.
- Serve immediately.
- For pasta water – after the pasta is cooked while draining it preserve ¼ cup of its water and keep it aside.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately.
- It can be refrigerated for 2-3 days in an air tight container. The pasta will thicken quite a bit but will taste equally good. To loosen the pasta all you need to do is take the pasta in a warm pan add some plant milk and adjust salt. At the first boil turn off the flame.