These High Protein Vegan Chickpea Flour Pancakes are easy, quick and a family friendly breakfast with delicious flavors. They are soft, fluffy and healthy along with being gluten free.
I loved the combination of chickpea flour and peanut butter together in these pancakes. They have a strong taste of chickpea flour and a nutty flavor of peanut butter and when sweetened with banana, these pancakes are the best ever.
I love the idea of chickpea pancakes because these are healthier version of regular pancakes. Hence, I came up with vegan chickpea flour pancakes recipe.
Why you will love them
High protein pancakes but no protein powder
Soft and fluffy
Healthy and guilt free
Easy and and quick
Only 8 ingredients
What is chickpea flour?
It is basically ground garbanzo beans. Its very healthy and high in protein. Since, chickpea flour is also gluten free it fits into most diet types and is also high in fiber. Chickpea flour is naturally sweet in taste and adds richness to any recipe.
Chickpea flour vs besan
Chickpea flour is a ground form of garbanzo beans or chickpeas whereas besan which is also known as gram flour is made from chana dal or split brown chickpeas. However, besan is also another form of chickpea flour and is often used as substitute for chickpea flour.
I have used simple pantry ingredients to make these protein pancakes with chickpea flour.
Chickpea flour – chickpea flour is commonly available in any local store but besan which is found in Indian store can be be used in this vegan protein pancake recipe.
Peanut butter – this adds protein, healthy fats and some creaminess to its batter.
Banana – I sweetened these chickpea flour pancakes mainly with banana so as to keep this recipe as healthy as possible.
Maple syrup – I added maple syrup so as to balance out the strong taste of chickpea flour and to bring a smoothness in its taste.
For detailed measurement of ingredients please scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make Vegan Chickpea Flour Pancakes
Firstly, in a mixing bowl, I combined chickpea flour, baking powder and salt. Then, I mixed it well until there were no lumps.
Secondly, I mashed the banana in a bowl and kept it aside.
Next, in another bowl, I combined almond milk, peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
Then, I whisked it nicely and kept it aside.
Thereafter, I folded in wet ingredients and mashed banana into the flour mixture. Then, I whipped it well until it was a smooth batter.
Afterwards, I heated a nonstick pan/griddle and greased it with cooking spray. Then, I poured in about 1/4 cup of the batter on it and shaped it round. I let it cook until the bubbles formed at its top.
Subsequently, I flipped it to the other side with a flat spatula and let it cook for few minutes.
Once done I gently scooped it on a serving plate.
Then, I drizzled more maple syrup over them and topped them with berries.
These vegan chickpea pancakes were instant hit in my family and I make it quite frequently.
You may refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for about 4-5 days. Make sure to warm these chickpea flour pancakes nicely in the microwave before serving. Garnish and serve.
- It is important to mix the chickpea flour properly because it usually has lumps which can remain uncooked if not released while mixing.
- Peanut butter may become a bit hard so use wired whisk to mix the wet ingredients before whipping it into the batter.
- Most importantly, cook the pancakes at medium flame so that the bubbles form properly on its top. This is in turn will make these pancakes soft and fluffy.
Yes, it is possible to make savory pancakes with chickpea flour. Simply skip the banana and maple syrup. Instead add more salt and your choice of spices in the batter. Cook the pancakes in your griddle/pan as explained in the recipe.
These chickpea flour pancakes are high in protein and rich in fiber. Its very healthy and are oil free too.
I prefer refrigerating these vegan chickpea flour pancakes and make fresh batches when desired.
More vegan pancake recipes
This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I will get a small commission. Moreover, I share only those products which I use personally and love.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. I am very excited to hear back from you.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
In addition, you may checkout my cookbook for everyday comfort vegan recipes.
High Protein Vegan Chickpea Flour Pancakes
- chopped nuts
- peanut butter
- more maple syrup
- fresh berries
- In a large mixing bowl combine chickpea flour, baking powder and salt. Then, mix it very well until all the ingredients are well blended.
- In another large mixing bowl combine almond milk, peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk it extremely well until no lumps are left. (This may take about 2-3 minutes)
- Then fold in the whisked wet ingredients and mashed banana into the chickpea flour mixture and mix it well until a smooth batter is formed.
- Heat a nonstick griddle/pan and grease it with cooking spray. (Greasing is optional). Pour about ¼ cup of the batter onto the pan. Let it cook until the pancake rises and form bubble at its top. then, with the help of a flat spatula, flip it to the other side and cook again until light golden – brown in color. Repeat the same process for the entire batch of the batter.
- Serve these chickpea flour pancakes warm with your choice of toppings.
- This recipe makes about 6 pancakes and the serving size is 2 pancakes each person.
- These pancakes are also make-ahead breakfast/brunch. They stay good in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Simply warm them in a microwave and add your choice of toppings.
- These pancakes tastes best with a dollop of peanut butter and lots of berries. They pancakes are sweet enough but you may pour some more maple syrup as per your taste.