This Asian Style Long Beans and Quinoa is a healthy and flavor packed lunch recipe. Its a great lunch box idea as its a one pot meal. Easy vegan yet protein rich dish made with simple ingredients.
Chinese Long Beans lend themselves well to the delicious flavors in this recipe.
It’s quite light and fresh and yet you get all the flavors of sesame seeds, garlic, scallions, vinegar, soy sauce, black pepper and chili sauce and finished with crushed peanuts to add to the protein and taste of this recipe.
Chinese long beans are easily available in Asian super markets and are also available in some regular American store in the Asian fresh produce aisle and are known by various names in India as well.
As a kid this vegetable was regular in my home and mom used to cook this vegetable with Indian spices.
It used to be my favorite green vegetable. When I migrated to US, for a long time I did not cook this vegetable but recently when I found Chinese Long Beans in my neighboring store.
So, I got super excited and cooked innumerous times using my Mom’s recipe. But I wanted to come up with something more healthy and filling. Therefore, I came up with this Asian green beans recipe.
I have made another recipe with this vegetable which is my favorite too. So, if you check this Coconut Sriracha Long Beans I am sure you will love it too.
My other easy lunch options are:
However, today I am sharing this Asian Style Long Beans and Quinoa recipe with you.
Ingredients you will need:
Chinese long beans
Crushed black pepper
How chili sauce
Olive oil – you may use sesame oil here as well but olive oil is lighter and heathier.
Chinese long beans – this is like regular green beans with slightly different taste and texture. Its longer and thinner and according me tastier too.
Quinoa – I have used cooked quinoa which means you can use leftover quinoa from your refrigerator. At the same time if you desire you can cook fresh quinoa as per the package instructions.
Peanuts – this is a must to get the authentic Asian flavor to this long beans recipe. I used dry roasted and lightly salted ones so no additional salt is required in here.
So, now after going through the ingredients in details I am sure you are excited to get started with it.
How to make Asian Style Long Beans and Quinoa
Firstly, I heated oil in a nonstick pan and flavored it with sesame seeds and garlic.
Secondly, I tossed in scallion followed by vinegar and soy sauce.
Next, i sauteed in Chinese long beans it it until they were soft and cooked through inside.
Thereafter, I folded in rest of the ingredients (except peanuts) and let it cook for a bit.
Lastly, I turned off the flame and garnished with peanuts.
As soon as I served this dish my family loved it.
This was a so comforting and satisfying that they wanted it again.
I have been making this frequently and this easy recipe takes few steps to be cooked and gets ready within 20 minutes.
I am personally very fond of Asian flavors and peanuts top my list for nuts so this recipe was perfect for me to give me a nice healthy and filing lunch.
Moreover, its a delicious healthy and complete lunch option if you are looking for a break from those boring salads.
This tastes best when served immediately. It tastes equally good as leftovers so it can refrigerated for about 1 week.
It is chewy and crunchy with salty and spicy taste to it.
Its is like green beans but longer and thinner and darker in color. Its tastes differs slightly and is softer when cooked nicely.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating. In addition you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake images because we would love to see what you cooked.
You may also checkout my cookbooks for everyday vegan comfort recipes.
Asian Style Long Beans and Quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp dried/fresh chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup scallions/green onions
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Chinese Long Beans (chopped 1 inch long)
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce
- 1/2 cup dry roasted and salted peanuts (roughly crushed)
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add sesame seeds, garlic and scallions. Mix well.
- Now add vinegar, soy sauce and bring to a boil (this may make few seconds so don’t leave it unattended).
- As soon as it starts to boil add Chinese long beans and mix well. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Long beans should be chewy and crunchy but soft in the center. (Do not let the long beans get mushy).
- Now add black pepper, quinoa and chili sauce. Sautee for couple of minutes until quinoa is well coated with all the ingredients.
- Turn off the flame and top it with crushed peanuts and serve warm.
- No additional salt is required in this recipe. But if you plan to use unsalted peanuts then you may want to add salt according to taste.
- While crushing peanuts don’t grind it smooth. Let few pieces be intact. Just pulse your grinder for few seconds.
- Chinese Long Beans are easily available in Asian Super Market and in some American stores in the Asian fresh produce aisle. Also available in Indian store as long beans.