This flavorful Red Potato Mushroom Curry is made with simple pantry staples. Its an easy family friendly entree. Along with being vegan, its nutritious and comforting.
Usually I avoid potatoes in my recipes due to its high carb content but red potatoes are hard to resist.
Its crispy taste and less mushy texture tempt me to cook red potatoes at least once a week for dinner.
Ingredients for Red Potato Mushroom Curry
Mushrooms being high in Vitamin D, antibiotics, amino acid and many vitamins and minerals are my all-time favorite so I try to incorporate mushrooms into my meals a great deal.
These nutritious and delicious mushrooms promote weight loss, strengthen immunity system and lowers cholesterol levels.
White sesame seeds
Unsweetened coconut milk
So this time my idea was to combine the goodness of mushrooms and deliciousness of potatoes cooked in nut free creamy gravy. Hence, balance the health and taste equally to make this nutritious entree a favorite meal for your family.
How to make Red Potato Mushroom Curry
- For this I roasted the red potatoes in a preheated oven and sauteed mushrooms.
- I decided to make the base of the gravy with white sesame seeds as the main ingredient and blended it with tomato paste (store bought). I used tomato paste instead of fresh tomatoes to thicken the gravy a bit and to add a strong tangy flavor to it.
- Then, I processed onions, ginger, and garlic.
- Thereafter, Before assembling the entire, I decided to flavor the warm oil with fresh thyme herb to give this recipe a fusion essence and seasoned with minimum spices.
- Now, To make this entree vegan friendly I added coconut milk for a smooth silky taste
- Lastly, I served it warm with steamed rice and naan.
My family devoured every bite of this meal and requested me to add this recipe to my weekly meal plan.
I should make it at least twice every month. I was delighted to receive such warm appreciation from them.
Therefore, I highly recommend you to try this out and make your week night dinner more interesting as well as healthy. 🙂
You may also like:
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, tag @kiipfit on Instagram .
Red Potato Mushroom Curry
- 2 cups baby red potatoes (sliced into halves)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups white mushroom (sliced)
- 1 cups roughly chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 inch ginger root
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- Preheat oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a cookie sheet with a greased liner/parchment paper.
- Place the sliced potatoes on the cookie sheet and put it in the middle rack of the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- In the meanwhile heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a nonstick pan and saute mushrooms.
- If the mushrooms dry up spray it with cooking spray to moisten the mushrooms. Cook them until nice golden brown in color.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, combine onion, tomato paste, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds into the food processor and grind smooth.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked take them out in a bowl and add another 1 tbsp. olive oil in the same pan.
- Now add thyme and cilantro to the warm oil. Immediately add the sesame seeds paste to it and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the paste starts sticking to the pan.
- Now add water to it, mix very well and boil for couple of minutes. Add turmeric powder, salt and chili powder to the pan and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes again. Now add coconut milk and mix very well. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly, fold in potatoes and mushrooms and gently mix. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve warm with steamed rice or naan.
- ½ of whole red onion equals to 1 cups roughly chopped onion for this recipe.
- If this curry left for long it might thicken a little in that case just add little coconut milk according to desired consistency and adjust the seasonings.
- This entree can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about a week.