This aromatic Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Cilantro Pilaf is a deliciously satisfying lunch. It works great for lunch boxes and as weeknight dinner as well. Its made with nutritious ingredients and simple spices.
The spicy, sweet and soft aroma of Cajun Spice all over my kitchen made me eat my lunch twice. Ah! And I totally jinxed my diet schedule.
It’s addicting and I couldn’t stop until every tiny bit of the recipe went into my tummy.
I went so gaga over my lunch that I couldn’t save even a bite of this dish for the rest of the family. Bummer! Have to run an extra mile to burn off the extra calories.
But the good news is that Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Cilantro Pilaf is healthy and low in calories and moreover provides many required nutrition to our healthy body.
Ingredients for Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Cilantro Pilaf
- Sweet Potato is paleo friendly, high in vitamins and potassium. They are naturally sweet in taste and do not spike the sugar in the body and thereby do not promote weight gain unlike the regular potatoes.
- Brown rice is high in fiber and contains natural hull and bran which provides wholeness and more nutrients. It is high in magnesium and promotes weight loss.
- Cajun Spice
- Cayenne pepper
How to make Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Cilantro Pilaf
- When I pan roasted the sweet potatoes with Cajun spice blend the flavor of the sweet potatoes enhanced three times. Subsequently, the sweet flavor of the potatoes in combination with the Cajun spice made this recipe super appetizing and filling at the same.
- Thereafter, I added the rest of the seasonings.
- Afterwards, I added cilantro. Then, the flavor of fresh cilantro made this recipe heavenly by adding its freshness and crunchy bites to this recipe.
- Lastly I tossed in cooked brown rice and enjoyed heartily.
Now whenever I am running out of lunch ideas or I feel lazy to do the grocery I simply pull out Cajun spice from my spice rack and cook this delicious and easy lunch recipe. Sometimes, this is our one dish dinner that’s easy, quick and filling. 🙂
In just a few simple steps my lunch was ready within 20 minutes and with minimum ingredients.
You may also like:
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Cilantro Pilaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp cajun spice seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan/skillet and add sweet potatoes.
- Toss well so that each potato piece is coated with oil and now add Cajun spice, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Mix very well and let it cook covered for 5-10 minutes or until soft and brown yet crispy from outside.
- Remove the lid and add cilantro and saute well.
- Just when the cilantro starts to shrink add brown rice and toss very well.
- Let it cook uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame, adjust salt and serve immediately.
- In this recipe I used oriental sweet potatoes/yams which cooked faster and was easier to chop. It’s lighter in color as well. Feel free to use regular sweet potatoes that are available in your nearby store for this recipe. The taste would be the same only a slight color difference would be visible.
- 1 large sweet potatoes chopped into ½” thick squares yields about 2 cups.
- Brown rice can be cooked earlier and refrigerated and this recipe can be made with left over rice as well.