These Tofu Spinach Stuffed Crispy Cups are baked appetizer that’s beautiful and delicious to serve to your guest. Top it with vegan cheese and let it melt to get that extra oomph flavor. Its an easy vegan snack to enjoy all year round.
When we think of serving snacks/appetizers to our guests the first thing that comes to our mind is store bought chips and dips. Though we may not be very happy at heart to serve that but we all are always falling short of time and ideas as well.
I tend to do the same many a times and so I came up with the idea of Tofu Spinach Stuffed Crispy Cups. It’s as crispy as chips and as delicious as dips and so easy to cook that you will bring lots of love and laughter into your home.
I love making tortillas at home because it’s healthy and I am aware of the ingredients I use. Trust me it’s very easy as well. But to make it even simpler I decided to bake the tortillas in a muffin tray so that no babysitting is required. Now isn’t that fun?
I frequently make this flourless lentil carrot tortillas and also beetroot tortillas. My family loves them and you must also try them.
However, this time, I was looking for an appetizer to serve to our guests and I innovated these crispy cups which I protein packed stuffed with tofu and spinach.
This time, I directly tested on my guests an they loved it. Infact I had to make 2 more batches of these in the same night.
Next, thanksgiving was on my mind and I served these baked crispy cups and all were gone within minutes.
Hence, I decided to share this awesome crispy cups recipe with you.
Ingredients for vegan crispy cups stuffed with tofu and spinach
for the cups
whole wheat flour
for the stuffing
vegan mozzarella cheese
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store. In fact you may already have most of them in your kitchen.
whole wheat flour – I used 100% whole wheat flour. Do not use white wheat flour as the texture and baking time might change.
tofu – it is important to you extra firm tofu. I did not press it but drained well. Then, i crumbled it roughly and measured it to 1 cup.
spinach – you may use adult or baby spinach.
Vegan mozzarella cheese – shredded style works best but you can use your homemade cheese too.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
How to make Tofu Spinach Stuffed Crispy Cups
Step1: how to bake the cups
Firstly, I just had to knead some dough in my dough maker by using whole wheat flour, some oil to moist it and make it crunchy and flaky, salt for taste and water for binding. You may use your hands as well.
Secondly, i made sure that it was sticking to each other was like a firm dough.
Next, I divided it into 8 parts and rolled the tortilla about my palm size. Then, I shaped it in a greased muffin tray and pushed it in the oven.
Thereafter, I baked it in the middle rack of the preheated oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.
Once done, I took it out and kept it aside.
Step2: how to make the stuffing
So, in this step, I greased a nonstick frying pan with some cooking spray and added crumbled tofu, chopped spinach, and flavored with oregano herbs, spiced it with crushed peppers and salt to taste.
Then, I let it cook for few minutes until it was dry and cooked well. Next, I turned off the flame.
By the time my tortillas were baked its stuffing was also ready.
Step3: how to assemble
Now, I filled each cup with tofu stuffing and generously topped them with vegan mozzarella cheese.
Afterwards, I let it bake again for 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
I took them out and serve hot.
See, now you know, what I mean by saving time while cooking? Stuffing and tortilla cups ready in just 15 minutes. Hahaha! 🙂
In less than 30 minutes this appetizer can be served and is definitely a winner.
This tastes best when served immediately. Or else the crispy cups becomes soft and soggy.
You may prepare the stuffing and refrigerate for about 1 week. make the cups and let it be in the room temperature for half a day. When ready assemble and serve.
My other appetizers/snack that you may like:
Where to find me?
Follow me on Facebook or tag me @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe remake image. I love to see what you cook in your kitchen.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
Tofu Spinach Stuffed Crispy Cups
for the cups
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
for the stuffing
- 1 cup crumbled tofu (extra firm)
- 1 cup finely chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 tsp crushed chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup vegan style shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a muffin tray by greasing it.
to make the cups
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, ½ tsp salt, oil and water and form soft but firm dough. Divide it into 8 equal parts.
- On a dusted flat surface roll out each dough into round shape and place it in the muffin tray gently. Make sure it does not break.
- Put the tray into the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 15 minutes or until golden brown in color. Once done take it out and keep it aside. Keep the oven on.
to make the stuffing
- heat a nonstick saucepan and grease it with cooking spray (Any oil of your choice can also be used). Add tofu and keep stirring until tofu dries up a little and is firm.
- Add spinach, pepper flakes, oregano and leftover salt as per taste. Mix well. Cook for few minutes and turn off the flame. (don’t cover or else it will get watery).
- Spoon the tofu spinach stuffing equally in the cups while in the muffin tray.
- Top it with vegan mozzarella cheese and bake again for only 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Take it out of the oven and serve warm with ketchup or any chutney of your choice.
Leave a Reply