These Quinoa Almond Herbed Bread Sticks are made in some unique steps and the combination is outstanding as well. Its delicious, satisfying and yet healthy. Along with being vegan it is gluten free too.
Bread Sticks are the most appealing appetizer when settling for Italian cuisine.
I love to munch on bread sticks endlessly and then it struck me I should opt for some healthy version of bread sticks so that I can avoid the unwanted calories and fat in my diet.
While trying to create these, my main concern was that I wanted this recipe to be friendly for all especially for those who do not eat eggs or follow a vegan diet.
I tried both and the results were amazing. Can’t ask for more healthier and versatile bread sticks. 🙂
How to make Quinoa Almond Herbed Bread Sticks
I used cooked quinoa which I ground as fine as possible. (Turn off the food processor the moment it starts to form lumps).
Secondly,I added almond flour for nutty flavor, and seasoned it with garlic, Italian seasoning and mixed herbs. (Any herbs of your choice can be used, I used all the herbs that were handy in my kitchen pantry), and instead of eggs I used soaked flax seed meal along with some baking powder. Well it was my first time to cook with soaked flax seed meal instead of eggs and I was nervous about the outcome. 🙂
Thereafter, roughly, I spread the batter on the cookie sheet with hands and baked in a preheated oven.
When it was done I had no patience for cooling it down but please, please, please let it cool down before cutting into desired pieces. 🙂 .
I know once these are out of the oven it would be difficult for you to resist but at least let it cool down a little so that there are no crumbs. You can toast these bread sticks later in the toaster oven. 🙂 Isn’t that good news!!
My husband calls it pita bread because according to him it tastes like pita bread but I loved it as bread sticks. Dip it in marinara sauce or cheese sauce or ranch, it tastes out of this world and so healthy.
I am happy I was able to create these to satisfy my cravings for bread sticks. 🙂
You may also like:
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Quinoa Almond Herbed Bread Sticks
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (soaked in 3/4 cup water)
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit. Prepare a cookie sheet with a liner and grease it well. Grind the cooked quinoa just up to it starts to form lumps.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Now pour all the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix vigorously. Make sure there are no lumps. I prefer using my hands to make sure there are no lumps. Spoon the batter onto the prepared cookie sheet and spread it into a rectangular/oblong shape with your hands gently without breaking the batter. Put the sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the tester comes out clean and the sides starts browning.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely or else it will break. Now cut into desired shape. Drizzle some olive oil and serve with marinara sauce/cheese dip. Can be toasted for crisper version and if desired sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese and then toast it.
- This recipe is vegan and gluten free and hence will not be super crispy. It will definitely satisfy your cravings for bread sticks in a healthier version.
- For mixed herbs: I used a mixture of parsley, basil, oregano and rosemary (dried). Feel free to use any dried/fresh herbs of your choice.