These soft and chewy cake like Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Cookies are the best summer dessert. It’s guilt free and a great veggie dessert that even kids would love it. This gluten free and paleo sweet treat is absolutely satisfying and desirable.
It’s that time of the year when the sun is shining bright up in the sky, nature is blooming happily and all of us trying to change our diet for seasonal produce (summer fruits and vegetables) and so to start with I chose Zucchini. They are light, with lots of water content, full of nutrition and perfect summer vegetable.
I know you all must be thinking that baking a dessert with zucchini is not new but as per the theme of my blog these Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Cookies are surely unique because these delectable, oeey gooey cookies are made purely with zucchini and chocolate and no flour or grains at all. Isn’t that unique?
You must be wondering how to bake Zucchini cookies without any flour. Well before baking these cookies even I wondered but took up the challenge on myself. I can now happily say that Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Cookies are a success in my household and my 3 year old approved it. She couldn’t even figure the zucchini at all and I am a happy mommy making a third batch of these cookies on my daughter’s demand.
Ingredients for Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Cookies
Shredded zucchini (squeezed)
Dark chocolate chips
How to make Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Cookies
I was lucky enough not to find any seeds in the zucchini but if you do please clean the zucchini to remove the seeds and grate it. Squeeze it as much as possible to drain the water. Once the zucchini vegetable is taken care off its very simple to bakes these cookies. I combined the grated zucchini, dates for sweetening, unsweetened cocoa powder for chocolatey flavor, egg, instant coffee to uplift chocolate flavor, flax oil to moist it (olive oil can also be used), vanilla extract for flavoring along with baking powder and salt and whipped up in the food processor.
Easy, isn’t it? I love recipes which call for just putting all the ingredients in the food processor to process and bake. Wow super simple!! 🙂
Just before shaping the batter into cookies I tossed chocolate chips into the batter and baked them. The smell in my kitchen aroused my appetite for dessert and fresh baked cookies are my top priority desserts. These cookies are soft and I loved using the spoon while eating these delicious and healthy cookies because I ate them immediately after taking them out from the oven.
I put the cookies in the refrigerator for some time to stiffen and when offered to Yashvi as an after school snack she finished almost the whole batch. 🙂
- It has a shelf life of 3-4 days. Place these cookies in an air tight container and refrigerate. For better taste warm it in the microwave for 10 seconds and enjoy it with a fork.
- These cookies are kid friendly
- For vegan option – replace the egg with flax eggs. Also make sure to use vegan chocolate chips.
Flourless Chocolate Zucchini Cookies
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (squeezed)
- 1/2 cups pitted dates (about 7 pieces)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp flax/olive oil
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit. Prepare a cookie sheet with a liner and grease it.
- In a food processor combine all the ingredients (except chocolate chips) and grind smooth.
- Pour the batter into the mixing bowl and mix in chocolate chips.
- With the help of a round spoon or ice cream scoop spoon the batter into 12 round shapes.
- Put the sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take it out and let it cool completely. Put the cookies in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to stiffen.
- Then enjoy it with a fork and or a spoon.
- Measure grated zucchini after squeezing it. If your zucchini has seeds inside then make sure to take them out before grating. You can also grind it in the food processor in the chop option, measure and then combine rest of the ingredients into it (except chocolate chips).
- These cookies are soft cake like texture. Since it has no flour to bind it and made purely out of zucchini it does not have the texture of store bought cookies. Make sure to refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or if in a hurry put the cookies in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to stiffen.
- If you want to consume immediately you may enjoy these cookies with a spoon. I loved eating these cookies with spoon.
- Any oil of your choice can be used in place of flax oil
- For vegan option - replace the egg with flax eggs. Also, make sure to use vegan chocolate chips.