This colorful and flavorful Chickpeas and Mini Sweet Peppers Salad is very simple and easy to make, protein packed, full of vitamin C and has the required fiber for a meal.
When it comes to salad usually we try to combine the greens, fruits and other colorful raw ingredients with some protein and mix it with some light dressing. That’s it! Sounds so simple. But sometimes little creativity and twist to your salad brings some joy and satisfaction to the taste buds.
Therefore, this time I came up with Chickpeas and Mini Sweet Peppers Salad.
It certainly looks beautiful as well when you serve this salad to your family, friends or just to yourself and is also great for summer parties.
Ingredients for Chickpeas and Mini Sweet Peppers Salad
Mini Sweet Peppers
How to make this Chickpeas and Mini Sweet Peppers Salad
- The ingredients are pretty straightforward with just 2 simple steps.
- In the first step, once the chickpeas are boiled (canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans can also be used).
- In a mixing bowl I combined chickpeas, sliced mini sweet peppers, chopped onions, julienned carrots and sliced radish. (Yum! I love radish – sweet, juicy, filling and so healthy).
- Then, for seasoning of the salad I added salt, black salt, lemon zest, orange zest, lemon juice and squeezed some juice out the same orange. Its the same orange that I used for the zest to enhance the flavor of the salad.
- Finally, I topped it with roasted pine nuts and added some greens to it.(Chives or Green Onions can also be used).
- lastly, I tossed them all and refrigerated for some time and served cold.
This salad Can be served at room temperature also.
I like this salad anyway and they look gorgeous when sitting on the table in front of you.
Your family won’t be able to stop themselves from digging into it. 🙂
You may also like:
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Chickpeas and Mini Sweet Peppers Salad
- 1 cup chickpeas/garbanzo beans (cooked and drained)
- 1 cup mini sweet peppers (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup red onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1/4 cup radish (finely sliced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp kala namak/black salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp scallions or chives
- Combine all the ingredients in a salad bowl and mix well.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. It can be served as the main course or as a side dish.
- Make sure your orange is ripe and sweet. After taking the orange zest just cut it into half (horizontal similar to lemon) and squeeze 2 tsp orange juice just like we squeeze lemon juice.
- If you are using canned chickpeas then measure 1 cup of chickpeas after rinsing and draining. If boiling fresh chickpeas measure the chickpeas after draining.
- If serving as a main dish this recipe serves 2 and as side dish it serves 4.
- To toast the pine nuts there are 2 ways:
a. Preheat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit and spread the pine nuts evenly on the cookie sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to stir in intervals.
b. You may use nonstick pan on medium heat evenly and then add pine nuts to it. Keep stirring at regular intervals until the pine nuts are golden brown. (May take 5 -7 minutes).