This Cajun Spiced Barley Kale Soup is flavored beautifully to satisfy the hungry tummy. This warm bowl of soup suffices for a balanced nutritious meal. It’s vegan and delightful in the cold weather.
Now that the weather is cooling down, our desire to get cozy in our warm blankets is increasing. Its time for some warm, flavorful and lip smacking soup to be included in our menu.
As the temperature falls, the sun plays hide and seek. The clouds gather all over the sky and the leaves falling off the branches. At this time the first food that comes to my mind is wholesome and filling soup with substance.
Ingredients for Cajun Spiced Barley kale Soup
Barley – this grain is high in fiber and promotes weight loss. It helps in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. This healthy and nutrient packed grain helps in stabilizing appetite by controlling the blood sugar and slows down the process of getting hungry more often.
Kale – we all know is the new super green and so versatile that this green leafy vegetable can be used in recipes and can be consumed cooked or raw. It is a good source of iron, fiber, potassium and many more vitamins and minerals.
How to make Cajun Spiced Barley Kale Soup
- To spice up this soup I used Cajun spice blend and my home was filled with irresistible aroma of it.
- Further, I tweaked this soup a little more as compared to my earlier soups.
- Hence, I flavored kale leaves with tarragon and cooked in coconut milk and blended them smooth for this soup to have a creamy texture along with subtle flavor.
- Also while cooking barley I added Cajun spice blend to it so that barley can have a spiced taste instead of the bland taste.
- These little changes made this soup friendlier for those who do not prefer kale or barley.
I would encourage you all to try this soup once and you will fall in love with it forever. 🙂
You may also like:
Black Beans and Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram
Cajun Spiced Barley Kale Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon herb
- 1 1/2 cup chopped baby kale
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp cajun spice seasoning
- 1/2 cup pearled barley (rinsed)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- Heat oil in a pan and add tarragon. Immediately add kale and mix well so that kale is well coated with herbed oil.
- Now add coconut milk and cook until baby kale is tender. Cool and blend it to a smooth puree.
- Boil water in a sauce pan and add Cajun spice and barley and cook until barley in tender, soft and chewy. Most of the water may be absorbed and if any water left over cover it and let barley stand in the pan for few minutes for it to dry.
- Now heat a nonstick pan again and add vegetable broth, sesame seeds, salt and black pepper add bring it first boil. (No oil required in this step).
- Now add the kale puree and barley and cook for couple of minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Left over soup can be stored in a glass container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Barley may absorb some of the soup in that case.
- If you plan not to consume the soup immediately then cook barley separately and refrigerate until ready to use it in the soup.
Awesome recipe, I just got some fresh organic kale in today so cannot wait to try out this soup with it. I will have to check out your other recipes 🙂
Sara @ Shabby Grace Blog says
This is the perfect cozy fall soup. Love it!
I totally want to start using barley!
I am going to try this! Pinning too!
Kim @ This Ole Mom says
I have never eaten barley before but your soup looks delicious!
Love the pretty color of this healthy soup!
Thank you Leslie.
I have to say I’m not the biggest fan of barley, but your soup looks delicious. I just might have to try it again!