This Black Beans & Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale is absolutely a satisfying and nutritious lunch idea. It is made with utmost delicious combination of ingredients.
During those days when I was overweight and I was working to achieve a healthy weight, Often I used to wonder what to eat for lunch. I was looking for a balanced nutrition with good carbs, proteins, good fats and green veggies and yet flavorful.
As everyone else I always ended up eating the tasteless green salad with the regular dressing.
Then one day when I was fed up with the same lunch I decided to cook brown rice without any oil. It looked quite good and was tasty as well. But my next question was what should I eat with brown rice?
After a serious thought of one week I decided to include black beans and by then I had developed a taste for Kale.
So instead of using kale for smoothies or salad I thought I would saute it with garlic. My house was full of the mouthwatering aroma of garlic and the kale looked beautiful.
Ingredients for Black Beans & Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale
White sesame seeds
How to cook this Black Beans and Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale.
Firstly, I heated oil in a pan and then I added garlic and sesame seeds. Immediately, I sauteed scallions in it.
Secondly, I tossed in kale and sauteed for few minutes.
Thereafter, I added black beans and mixed them well.
Afterwards, I seasoned with with spices and mixed in brown rice.
Later, I let it cook covered for few minutes and turned it off.
Lastly, I garnished it with hemp seeds and served immediately.
Since I believe in quick cooking and I try to establish an easy way of cooking most of the time I added black beans to the garlicky kale.
This is how I created this Black Beans & Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale. Now, its one of my favorite lunch whenever I need change of taste or have leftover brown rice and yet I can maintain my healthy weight.
- This recipe tastes good immediately or cold from refrigerator as well.
- It lasts for about a week in the refrigerator for about a week.
- To make it oil free simply use 2 tbsp of vegetable broth to saute garlic and sesame seeds instead of olive oil.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because I love to see what you cooked.
Black Beans & Brown Rice with Garlicky Kale
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Fresh/dried garlic
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 cup scallions/green onions
- 2 cups chopped baby kale
- 1 15 oz canned black beans ( drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 tbsp crushed pepper flakes/chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and sesame seeds, as soon as they start getting brown slow down the flame and add white portion of scallions.
- Saute for few minutes in the low flame and add kale and saute again. Then add black beans. Mix well.
- Mix in all the spices and saute again for few minutes. Toss in green portion of the green onions/spring onions/scallions and saute again.
- Add brown rice and mix well so that the rice is fully coated. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until done.
- Take it out in a serving plate and garnish with hemp seeds.
- Serve hot, or at room temperature or can be served cold. Can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated and consumed the next day.
- I personally prefer it cold so I always cook this recipe a day ahead and eat it next day for lunch.
- Add white portion of the spring onions in the beginning and the green portion at the end for the distinct flavor of the onions.
- This recipes comes out well with leftover cooked brown rice.
- It lasts for about a week in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
- To make it oil free simply use 2 tbsp of vegetable broth instead to saute.
I love it, thank you. Great website!