This Cajun Butternut Squash & Black Rice Salad is loaded with antioxidants and yet it is flavorful in every bite. Its wholesome, healthy and vegan family meal.
I can’t get over Cajun spice blend. Hence, I add this spice in almost every recipe and every dish.
Personally, I love the aroma of this spice and it gives such a wonderful and delicious flavor to any dish. Therefore, I have become a huge fan of this spice blend. And this time I combined butternut squash and Cajun spice and baked them.
I can still smell the fragrance and my taste buds still have the flavor of this recipe while I am writing it out to you all.
This roasted butternut squash is absolutely versatile. It can be eaten as is or in soups or in salads. Its aromatic and nutritious.
Ingredients for Cajun Butternut Squash & Black Rice Salad
Of all the varieties of squash available in the market I genuinely look forward for fall season to get my hands on butternut squash.
They are simply delicious and can be paired with anything or serve it as is as a side dish. Along with the health benefits Butternut squash is very easy to cook and generally does not require any babysitting. It gives a fresh feeling of fall season.
Black rice is one the healthiest form of rice with a good source of antioxidant and fiber. Trust me it’s not difficult to develop a taste for black rice.
Just the right combinations are needed to become a black rice fan. Of course cooking black rice properly and very well is important for its flavors and aroma to come out well.
Simply follow the package instructions carefully with all the measurements or follow my instructions below which I have tweaked a little with lots of practice.
Cajun seasoning is a blend of paprika, cayenne, garlic, pepper and oregano. It is mostly used in cajun cuisine and originates from Louisiana.
I have used easily available ingredients in this salad recipe which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them here for your convinience.
If you plan to buy from these affiliate links then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring in more delicious recipes for you all.
How to make Cajun Butternut Squash & Black Rice Salad
Firstly, I cooked black rice as per the instructions.
Secondly, I combined roating ingredinets in a mixing bowl. Then, I placed it on the prepared baking sheet and baked it for about 25 minutes.
Next, I simply tossed all the salad ingredients and served immediately.
We all ate this vegan black rice salad heartily and enjoyed the Fall produce immensely.
It’s filling and wholesome along with its specialty of being nutrient packed.
Don’t forget to garnish with lots and lots of fresh cilantro. It enhances the flavor and taste of Cajun Butternut Squash & Black Rice Salad to a different level giving you the craving for this salad to eat again and again. 🙂
You may also like:
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your comments in the comments below along with the ratings.
Cajun Butternut Squash & Black Rice Salad
For black rice
- 1 cup dry forbidden black rice (rinsed)
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups butternut squash chunks
- 1 tsp cajun spice blend
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped radish
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a cookie sheet with a greased liner.
- In the meanwhile in a saucepan combine rice, water and salt and bring it to a boil. Then cook covered in simmered flame for 25-30 minutes or until water absorbs. Let it sit covered for couple of minutes and fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking in a mixing bowl combine the squash ingredients and mix well so that each piece of butternut squash is well coated with the seasoning. Now place the butternut squash pieces in the prepare cookie sheet with ¼ inch gap between each piece. Once the oven is ready place the cookie sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once the rice and the squash are cooked, combine all the ingredients in a salad bowl and mix gently to make sure that butternut squash do not break and serve immediately. Tastes equally good at room temperature.