Black Rice Sriracha Tempeh Bowl is a vegan and gluten free meal for any week nights. It’s a wholesome delectable meal loaded with antioxidant and protein. It is high in fiber and is a medley of Asian flavors. The chewy black rice makes this bowl even more desirable. It is a family meal with balanced nutrition.
I am quite happy with the fact that I maintained healthy diet all of January. However, February is here and is a happy, friendship and a love month. So I hope not to derail from my diet. Therefore, I started this month with this savory Black Rice Sriracha Tempeh Bowl. I am generally fond of black rice. Once it is properly cooked it pairs wonderfully with most of the recipes. I love its chewy texture. In this recipe, I used non glutinous black rice because I planned for a bowl meal recipe.
I have developed a taste for tempeh since I changed into vegan diet. In addition, I learnt how to tastefully cook this protein rich tempeh. I learnt a trick to do away its absolutely raw bitter taste. Hence, this bowl is one of my favorite meals for weeknights. I have been gorging on this meal for the entire week. It’s regular in my home and I am gradually introducing these ingredients to my gamily. Till now, they are doing pretty well and are happy with black rice. So, I think now I can confidently mark this as a family meal. The only variation I do for my daughter is to reduce sriracha powder significantly. For us, we sprinkled extra sriracha powder over the dish.
Ingredients health benefits:
Black rice – It is loaded with antioxidants and promotes heart health. Black rice is naturally gluten free and helps improve digestion.
Tempeh – It’s a great source of protein for a plant based diet. Tempeh improves bone density and promotes good cholesterol.
Broccoli slaw – it has anti – aging properties and treats many diseases.
Peanuts – it’s high in protein and fights gallstones. Peanuts also prevent cancer and fights depression along with improving memory.
Sriracha – it helps boosts metabolism and aids in weight loss.
Did you make black rice sriracha tempeh bowl?
I would highly recommend you to try out this recipe. It’s a complete meal with nutritious flavors and perfectly balanced seasonings.
If you get a chance to make this recipe, please leave your feedback in the comments below. Also, don’t forget to rate it. I enjoy reading your comments.
Black Rice Sriracha Tempeh Bowl
For the black rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup forbidden black rice (non-glutenous)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced white onion
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green bell peppet
- 1/2 cup broccoli slaw
- Salt as per taste
For the marinade
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp sriracha powder
- 1 8oz pack original tempeh (sliced and boiled)
For the bowl
- 1/4 cup broccoli slaw
- 1/4 cup raw peanuts (crushed)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- lemon wedges
- In your saucepan combine black rice and water and bring it to a boil. Then simmer the flame and let it cook covered until all the water is absorbed.
- In the meanwhile in a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients of marinade. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Later, heat a nonstick pan and grease it. Place the tempeh on it with the help of tongs and cook until brown on one side. Then, flip them over to the other side and cook until brown. (Do not drain the leftover marinade, keep it aside for later use). Then, take the tempeh out of the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan heat olive oil and add onions. Let it cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Thereafter, add red bell pepper, green bell pepper and broccoli slaw. Let it cook until translucent but crunchy.
- Now, fold in cooked black rice, leftover marinade and salt.
- Lastly, turn off the flame and spoon the rice in the serving bowls. Then, place cooked tempeh over them. Afterwards, add more broccoli slaw, crushed peanuts, chopped cilantro and lemon wedges.
- In order to boil tempeh - In a saucepan pour lots of water and bring it to a boil. Then, add sliced tempeh to it and let it cook for 5-7 minutes. Next, turn off the flame and let tempeh sit in the warm water for couple of more minutes. Now, drain the water and let tempeh cool down before marinating.
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness says
This looks amazing! I will have to give this a go sometime.
Serena Hale says
Black rice is so beautiful I enjoyed the colors in the dish and it looks so tasty.
Chelsea Pearl says
This bowl looks so nutritious and delicious! I totally need to cook with tempeh more!
Denay DeGuzman says
The weather is beautiful outside, the birds are chirping and then this – THIS GORGEOUS FLAVORFUL RECIPE! My day could not get any better! I’m so excited to try this scrumptious-looking black rice sriracha tempeh bowl. Yum!
That looks so delicious! I am definitely bookmarking this.
You make tempeh look really good! I’m not very good at cooking it, but this recipe makes me want to give it another try.
Matt Kearns says
I’ll have to give this recipe a try as I actually haven’t had tempeh before. Looks great! =-)
Ooh yum! This sounds delicious. I’ll have to give it a try soon!
This looks amazing!!! I love to have this for lunch!
it indeed is appetizing and I would recommend you to give this recipe a try.
This looks so good, I havent tried a recipe with Tempe in awhile, maybe I am due! Pinned this for later 🙂
Thank you 🙂 let me know your feedback if you get a chance to make this recipe.
Yummmm, love a good tempeh recipe! Eating healthy can be so delicious! Love the photography as well.
Thank you Annie for the appreciation 🙂