This quick Vegan Gravy for Mashed Potatoes is easy and flavorful. It’s made with few simple ingredients and in few easy steps. It’s a must have comforting side dish on any work week nights or on relaxing weekends.
If we have gravy’s ready in our refrigerator/freezer our meals can become easier to serve and yet flavorful. As a result, this gravy can make our meals so tasteful and doable on any day of the week.
I like quick fixes and easy recipes with few ingredients that are made ahead. I am sure many of you have the same thought process. Therefore, I came up with this quick recipe. It tastes outstanding when paired with mashed potatoes.
You need only 10 ingredients for this Vegan Gravy
Baby Bella Mushrooms
Few easy steps for this Vegan Gravy
Firstly, I heated oil in a sauce pan/stock pot and sauteed the herbs in it.
Secondly, I cooked mushrooms until the juices were released and completely cooked.
Later, I added mustard powder and flour and after that I mixed it well.
Afterwards, I stirred in the remaining ingredients. Then, I let it cook on a medium flame for 10 -15 minutes or until it thickened.
Now, simply pour it over your favorite mashed potatoes and enjoy heartily.
Totally easy…. right?
If you are interested in cooking more recipes with mushrooms then you might like these…
Vegan Mushroom Red Rice Soup
Vegan Cheese and Tempeh Stuffed Mushrooms
Tofu Mushroom Quinoa Scramble
- Use whole Baby Bella and then mince it just like we chop cilantro. It should be as fine as possible, that’s why I am stressing over the word minced.
- For quick crushed garlic, I always use mortar and pestle. Its mess free and easy as well.
- Cook the gravy at a medium flame stirring at intervals to avoid any overflow. However, one trick to avoid overflow is to lower the flame immediately once it starts to boil and reaches the top. Another trick that I frequently apply is to insert a spatula in the pan while cooking. This trick always comes in handy to avoid overflow of the liquid. However, do not use plastic spatula for this purpose. Try to use wooden, steel or silicon spatulas for this purpose.
Frequently asked questions:
- Store this gravy in an air tight glass container for about a week.
- As a thickener Cornstarch or flour works best for this vegan gravy. However, I used regular flour here for convenience. You may use gluten free flour or whole wheat flour as well.
- This gravy is not restricted to mashed potatoes only. It pairs well with mashed cauliflower or whole roasted cauliflower steak or on any roasted vegetable.
- I have provided my personal recipe of mashed potatoes in the recipe card under notes for your convenience.
I am sure by now you must be drooling over this recipe. So, don’t wait, make and enjoy this as a side dish with your family.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please do leave your feedback in the comments below and rate this recipe. You may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram and I will definitely shout it out there.
Vegan Gravy for Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tbsp grapeseed/olive/avocado oil
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups baby Bella mushrooms (finely chopped/minced)
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp flour (regular/whole wheat/gluten free)
- 2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt as per taste
- Freshly ground black pepper (as per taste)
- Heat oil in a saucepan/stockpot and add garlic
- Immediately add mushrooms and saute until it releases
its juice but its absolutely cooked or dried up and mushrooms are slightly
- Then add mustard powder and flour and mix very
- Add rest of the ingredients and stir. Let it
cook for 10-15 minutes or until it thickens a bit. (Do not over thicken the
gravy because we want a pouring consistency).
- Turn off the flame and enjoy this gravy over
your favorite mashed potatoes.
- My personal simple recipe for mashed potatoes – combine boiled and peeled potatoes with vegan butter, salt and some plant milk preferably coconut milk. Mash them all together and garnish with fresh herbs like parsley and chives.
- This vegan gravy can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a week.
- This gravy can be used on mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower or roasted veggies.
- I have provided step wise images in the post above for convenience.
Amy Dong says
Yes! Mushrooms are such a great option for umami flavors, especially with vegan or vegetarian dishes! So so good! Your gravy looks amazing 🙂
This gravy sounds so earthy, comforting and delicious! Mashed potatoes and gravy is so comforting. With holidays just around the corner, this make ahead gravy is must have on holiday menu list.
Claire | The Simple, Sweet Life says
I’ve never made a vegan gravy before, but I was sold when you mentioned mushrooms! While we don’t have any vegans in my immediate family, a few members of my book club are vegan so I know what I’ll be bringing to next month’s potluck. Can’t wait to give this a try!
Oh, yum! What a great way to make gravy without any meat! The flavor looks incredible, and it seems so perfect for the holidays. Thanks for posting!
Jenni LeBaron says
The bella mushrooms and mustard powder in this vegan gravy recipe is such a great combo. Terrific umami! This would be so delicious on mashed potatoes!
Thank you Jenni. I hope you get a chance to enjoy this gravy as much as we do.
This vegan gravy is fantastic! Love the mushrooms in here! It could enhance with its flavor so many dishes, not only mashed potatoes.
Marisa F. Stewart says
Your gravy looks so rich and thick. You’d never guess that it wasn’t made with a meat stock. I usually make the gravy ahead of time because it always seems like so much is going on at the last minute. I’ll be making this recipe since i won’t have the meat stock done. I’m pinning..
So excited to find this idea! Even though I’m not personally vegan, I like to have healthier alternatives – and typical gravy just isn’t very healthy. And I totally agree that having flavorful make-ahead items on hand makes busy mealtimes so, so much easier! Plus, with the holidays just around the corner, I like to have vegetarian and vegan options for my friends and family who follow those diets. Thank you so much for this!
Thank you Shelley. I am sure you will love this recipe.
That gravy looks amazing! I can think of quite a few dishes this gravy would be delicious with!
Thank you Denise. I hope you enjoy this gravy over your choice of dishes.
Anne Lawton says
Mashed potatoes and gravy are the perfect comfort food. Thanks for sharing a vegan version, it sounds tasty.
Thank you 🙂