This Tofu Pumpkin Curry is a comforting Fall meal. Its is vegan, gluten free and yet protein rich. It has all the wonderful fall flavors is a one pot family dinner.
Being a vegan, Tofu is always on the top of my food list. Even though tofu doesn’t have a taste of its own but comes out really well when cooked properly with flavorful sauces or marinates.
Tofu is calcium and protein rich and at the same time so versatile that it can be molded into any kind of dish, be it dips, appetizer, desserts or entrees.
Since I had so much leftover pumpkin puree from my previous recipes I decided to come up with an entrée that can be easily made within 30 minutes and serves as a healthy yet flavorsome potluck dish for your dinner menu for this Thanksgiving.
As I promised this year I covered almost the entire day of Thanksgiving with my recipes with a variety of flavors and ingredients. I have already shared brunch and dessert and now this Tofu Pumpkin Curry.
Ingredients for Tofu Pumpkin Curry
Red bell pepper
Unsweetened coconut milk
Extra firm tofu
How to make Tofu Pumpkin Curry
I warmed the oil and flavored it with fennel seeds and cumin seeds.
Then sautéed onion in it and seasoned with fresh tarragon which made this dish even more aromatic.
Thereafter, I added pumpkin puree and again added some fresh basil leaves to flavor this entrée further. I love fresh herbs and cannot stop myself from flavoring my recipes with these fresh leaves. Along with being perfect seasonings, aromatic fresh herbs also helps in boosting memory, soothes colon, prevents inflammation and are great antioxidants. Not to forget they look beautiful and makes the presentation of any dish super attractive 🙂
Coming back to Tofu Pumpkin Curry………
Afterwards, I added a few more ingredients to it and cooked for a while.
Next, I added some lightened coconut milk to give it a creamy texture, but I used the tetra pack unsweetened coconut milk instead of Thai coconut milk to lighten up this entrée. However, feel free to use your choice of coconut milk and lastly I finished the dish with chopped tofu.
When I served Tofu Pumpkin Curry over a bed of steamed rice to my family and brown rice to myself, I couldn’t believe that it tasted outstanding. We all loved this nutritious and delicious dinner and I added this recipe in my Thanksgiving dinner menu.
Before I let you all rush to your kitchen to try this recipe I would like to share the health benefits of pumpkin/pumpkin puree and the importance to consume this seasonal vegetable. Pumpkin helps improve digestive system, prevents heart diseases, boosts immunity and is high in fiber along with being so versatile that it can be enjoyed in sweet and or savory recipes 🙂
You may also like:
Tofu Pumpkin Curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 14oz extra firm tofu (chopped)
- Heat oil in pan and add cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until onions start browning. Add tarragon and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin puree, basil and chili powder and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add water and cook uncovered for 30 seconds.
- Simmer the flame, add red bell pepper and coconut milk. Cook covered for 5-7 minutes stirring at intervals. (Cook this at low flame). Add salt and cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes in a low flame.
- Add salt and cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes in a low flame. Serve with steamed rice/brown rice/quinoa and enjoy.