The importance of regular exercise has been emphasized time and again. We all know how exercise is important for our overall fitness. It keeps many diseases at bay, helps to lose/maintain healthy weight, keeps one active and energized and cheerful. Yet at the drop of a hat we find excuses to avoid exercise and the most common excuse is the lack of time. In the modern world we live a hectic and stressful life and so it is all the more important to exercise regularly in order to sail successfully through our busy lives.
To get started here are some tips to make exercise a habit:
1. Start slow – start with 15-20 minutes of your choice of exercise and give yourself at least a week to realize what kinds of exercise interest you or what is more enjoyable for you.
2. Make it an appointment – make an appointment with yourself so you don’t have any excuse to avoid exercise even for a day.
3. Don’t miss out a single day – even if you feel lethargic or feel that you don’t have enough time, give at least 20 minutes to exercise. We surely can devote 20 minutes of the day to our body.
4. Give your workout schedule at least 6 weeks to kick in – Be patient. Give yourself time to settle down in your new routine like you would do with any other new project. It may take a while for you to realize that exercise has become a habit for you.
5. Make it a socializing event – Exercise is more fun if you have partners with you. Make it challenging and fun while exercising along with friends and family. This would help you look forward to exercise every day.
6. Eat regularly – Don’t skip meals because that will drain your energy and this might affect your workout enthusiasm. Eat healthy food and at regular intervals with good amount of protein in your diet.
7. Award yourself – once you realize that exercise has become your habit and you feel incomplete without it even for a day that is the time to reward yourself. The reward will motivate you to exercise regularly and you may want to increase your exercise time.
Exercise is not only about losing weight but to stay healthy mentally and physically. There might be times where you may like or dislike exercising but make sure not to give up and stay determined to continue. Don’t let the time factor or your busy schedule over take your thoughts and motivation of exercising every day. A point will come when you will crave to exercise and that you won’t feel happy if you had to miss a single day. This will be the time when you will realize that exercise has become your habit and that the good habit has taken a solid form.
Health tip of the week
“Make exercise a habit and it will become part of your lifestyle”
Leave a Reply