Restaurant chains are probably the fastest growing industry and recent studies have shown that 29% of our meals are consumed outside home. This not only drains our pocket but also washes down all our efforts to stay healthy. The mindless munching, the enticing aroma of food and the stimulation of appetite, the comfortable services provided by the restaurants lead us to lose control on ourselves and we end up indulging immensely. Eating out and yet staying within healthy limits has become extremely challenging and of great concern.
Here are some tips to eating healthy while dining out:
1. The most important aspect of eating out should be to select a restaurant that has healthy, low calorie and flexible menu. Always look at the menu before entering any restaurant or doing a take away.
2. Once the above step is achieved your aim should be to avoid sugar loaded beverages and instead ask for a glass of water. If you want to have alcohol go for a glass of wine, beer or just vodka and tonic.
3. Chose to order appetizer but avoid anything that’s fried, breaded or crisped. Order some vegetable loaded appetizer that’s light and appealing.
4. Order a salad with dressing on the side. Avoid immersing the beautiful and crispy lettuce into the fat laden creamy dressing. Instead use a clean fork and dip it into the dressing and skewer a forkful of raw salad. You won’t believe how delicious your salad would taste.
5. When ordering an entrée try to mold it according to your requirements, like increasing the vegetables and asking for grilled protein instead of fried. Don’t just accept the order as is. Always order your food mindfully and make it as healthy as you can.
6. Always dress up when you plan to eat out. This will make you feel conscious of your appearance and you will automatically indulge consciously and within limits.
7. Eat slowly and chew your food. This will let your brain know when you are full and you will not overeat.
8. Always ask for a to go box for half of your portion even before your plate arrives. This way you are already in control of your portions even before you start digging into it and your calorie limit stays intact.
9. Skip the dessert. If you want to eat dessert at all order for a fruit plate without any fancy dressing or toppings. This will provide you with lots of fiber, nutrition and yet keep you in shape.
Just follow these few simple steps and enjoy your meal outside repeatedly without feeling guilty of indulgence and exceeding your calorie limits. Always remember to work out regularly and stay in good shape with a strong and healthy mind and body.
Health Tip of the week
“Plan your diet well before indulging in restaurant eating.”