Exercise, running, workouts, and gym – all these words are so familiar and have become a must in today’s lifestyle. But sometimes we miss on the important question, that even if we run or workout in the morning and sit in our desk for the rest of the day does that counter our efforts of the morning? Does sitting for the rest of the day undo all our efforts at the workout session?
Well, the answer is yes to some extent and for your workouts to be more effective you need to make sure that you are moderately moving all day long. I know that sounds quite overwhelming but with a few simple tricks we can add more steps to our daily life and achieve a better fitness level.
1. Park your car one block away from your office so that you get a chance to walk from your car to your work building.
2. Take the stairs instead of elevators.
3. While on the phone pace up and down instead of sitting and chatting.
4. Try for pick up food order instead of delivery and walk to the restaurant if within a reasonable distance.
5. Walk in a slow pace while refreshing yourself with coffee.
6. Instead of using intercom try and walk down to the person whom you want to contact.
7. While at home put all your food in the kitchen instead of at the dining table so you can get up from your seat and walk towards the food for helpings.
8. Put the remote away from the couch so you have to get up and walk towards it.
9. Play with your little ones or pets. They are good source of exercising.
10. Stroll every night after dinner with your partner. This way you get some quality time to spend with him/her.
Last but not the least, try to use some step tracker and make sure to take at least 10,000 steps a day.
Health tips of the week
“Move more, track your steps and achieve your desired fitness level”.
Like Chrystie, I also got an Apple watch recently and realized pretty quickly I wasn’t getting enough steps! These are awesome ways to give that number a boost!
I recently got an Apple watch and it has a great (albeit insulting) way of telling me I am not getting enough steps in a day! Thanks for these tips 🙂
Love all of these tips! I am always trying to get more steps for my fitbit.
These are all great ideas. I think everyone can benefit from it.
Thank you Deynece.
I’ve been trying to get more steps in and I love your tips. Thanks for sharing!
Clare Speer says
I really need to utilize some of these wonderful tips – especially the playing with pets and taking a stroll after dinner… it’s the perfect time of the year for strolls as the days are getting longer! Thanks for the tips!
Brandy Burke says
Great tips – I pace when I’m on the phone with my mom and dad (call them every night) and it adds a good 300 steps extra to my daily count without me ever noticing it.
Besides, I talk better when I’m not sitting still 🙂
Awesome Brandy. That’s a great way to add more steps and believe me I do the same. 🙂
I have a step tracker and I love it. I also park my car a little farther away when I am out shopping to get those extra steps. Now that the weather is getting better I also hope to be able to get a walk in at night.
I am so glad you are adding extra steps to your daily routine. Parking your car a little away is definitely a good walk. I started parking my car further away so I can get bigger and empty spot to park and pull out but eventually it worked out for me as a little extra exercise and now I love it.