Yes! It’s that time of the year where the leaves are changing their colors and ready to leave their branches, the breeze getting cooler and the sun rays are slanting even more and there arrives the Football season!!!! Time for tailgating parties and have some sports fun.
Well that means more socializing, more fun activities, more food and drinks especially alcohol. Yes, we can indulge as I always say but remember if you over indulge now you will regret later so let’s plan for healthy tailgating and more satisfaction.
Here are some tips on healthy tailgating:
1. Always remember that whatever you eat will count in calories and I am sure you don’t want those extra calories and work harder later to burn them off. So always keep a track of your calorie intake before, during and after tailgating parties.
2. Never skip your meals and just before indulging in the party eat healthy snacks to avoid over eating.
3. Healthy snacks can include nuts, dried fruits, fresh fruits, side salad, roasted chickpeas, fruits & veggie chips and many more.
4. Control your alcohol intake because they are very high in calories and has unpleasant after effects.
5. Don’t forget to control your portions because that’s the key to avoid excessive indulgence.
6. Stay hydrated with water and fruit juices.
7. Keep moving wherever you are partying. Walk or play with your little one or with your pet, some light walk and some stretches as and when you get a chance.
Ideas for healthy snacks for this tailgating season
1. Whole grain crackers and carrots with hummus/homemade dips.
2. Mixed nuts with dry fruits.
3. Fruits and veggie chips.
4. Baked chips with fresh guacamole
5. Veggie platter with low fat ranch dip
6. Salads tossed in low fat dressings.
8. Grilled kabobs (veggies/meat)
9. Homemade snacks that can be pre – packed and portioned to avoid packing on the pounds to your waistline.
Remember to be mindful and watch what you put in your mouth. Be aware of your physical activities and have loads of fun this game season. This is the best time to relax, socialize and de – stress yourself and yes don’t forget to watch the game!!!
Health tip of the week
“Happy Healthy Tailgating season and enjoy the game”.