Summer is the time to enjoy all the outdoor activities and it’s that time of the year when we can devour all the delicious fruits which are otherwise not available in other seasons. But with the thought of summer season the first and foremost concern is to stay properly hydrated to avoid any dehydration which may impact our energy levels, skin health, reduce tolerance of heat, activity and performance and so on.
Apart from just plain water our body requires more support from other sources to stay hydrated such as fresh and juicy fruits. By consuming these fruits we not only stay hydrated but also derive fiber and lots of other nutrients. The below mentioned summer fruits fulfill most of the requirements.
1. Watermelon occupies the top position because it is low in calories and is mostly made of water and sugar. This fruit is high in fiber and is anti-inflammatory, full of antioxidants and with lots of iron and zinc. With the mentioned properties and health benefits watermelon is considered to be the best health fruit and it’s my favorite. I can dig into it anytime of the day and make a meal out of it.
2. Berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are full of vitamin C and antioxidant which helps us to stay hydrated during summer with their delicious flavors. These fruits are versatile enough to be baked into desserts or can be blended into smoothies or dips. I personally love to add berries into my recipes in some way to add extra flavor and nutrients.
3. Figs when eaten fresh and raw tastes delicious and with its slightly mushy and nutty flavor are super health fruits. I am still trying to explore this fruit since I have mostly eaten figs in a dried form as one of the healthiest dry fruits but now I am in love with these fresh figs. Figs are very low in calories and have high fiber content with antioxidant properties. Figs are high in many vitamins and helps lower blood sugar levels.
4. Grapes which are available in different colors like red, green and black are delicious and sweet hydrating fruits that are not only high in fiber and super easy to pop into your mouths but are known for its antioxidant properties. Grapes help giving relief from constipation and allergies. They are high in potassium which has many health benefits related to controlling high blood pressure.
5. Cherries are my favorite summer fruit and for which I wait all year to indulge in, is another important hydrating summer fruit. They are high in Vitamin C and have the most antioxidants. Cherries are good for the heart, improve sleep and help in reducing muscle pains.
6. Mangoes the most wanted summer fruit and hyped at the same time because of their somewhat high calorie content have many health benefits along with hydrating properties. I personally believe in including mangoes into our diet. These sweet and delicious mangoes are high in Vitamin A, B6 and C and have high fiber content. Mangoes are versatile fruits which can be served as a healthy substitute for sugar in desserts, can be used in baked foods or blended into smoothies or shakes or just added into your salads for that extra flavor.
There are many more summer fruits not to forget melons and cantaloupes and litchis that help us stay hydrated, fit and satisfied. If we can include even some of the above mentioned fruits into our diet we would be taking a step forward towards healthy and balanced eating.
I always prefer to buy the fresh and juicy fruits organic or from the closest farmers market depending on the availability.
Health tip of the week
“Include summer fruits into your diet to stay hydrated this summer”.