Are you suffering from abdominal bloating? Are you feeling lethargic and uninterested in everything? Do you just want to be in your PJ and alone? Well most of us go through this at some point of time and we make it worst by eating certain foods that aggravate bloating. Before we discuss on the foods that help us reduce abdominal bloating first let us understand what is bloating?
Bloating is a condition when abdomen feels tight, gaseous, and unable to digest any food, sometimes with a stomach ache and many a times visibly round belly or slight weight gain. Bloating may disrupt your bowel movement leaving you with an uneasy stomach discomfort and severe to mild heart burns.
What causes abdominal bloating?
1. Lack of hydration in the body
2. Low fiber intake.
3. Too much fatty food consumption.
4. Lack of physical exercise or movements
5. Too much protein intake without proper balance of nutrition
7. Consumption of allergy causing foods.
8. High sodium intake in any form.
Foods that help eliminate abdominal bloating :
1. Watermelon – it not only has the hydrating effect it is also full of roughage/fiber and easy to digest. It is a great source of potassium since a great balance of sodium and potassium is required when fighting bloating.
2. Celery – is known to fight fluid retention. It has high water content and detoxifying ingredients. High in fiber celery is excellent for digestion and helps bowel movement smoothen out.
3. Water – drink lots and lots of water especially with a lemon which will help hydrate your body and ease out your bowel movement and release gas. Water helps in digestion and flushing out. Lack of enough water in the body results in water retention and bloating since the body goes into the dehydration mode and tries to hold on the reserved water.
4. Cantaloupe – has anti bloating effects with high water content, high fiber and low calories.
5. Yogurt – unless you have milk allergy/or you are lactose intolerant yogurt helps reduce bloating by promoting gut health and easing out your digestive system.
6. Cucumbers – very high in water content helps you flush out excess sodium in your body.
7. Berries – full of antioxidant fights inflammation helps reduce bloating and works like wonders when consumed.
Health Tip of the week
“Include lots of hydrating and high fiber fruits into your diet to avoid abdominal bloating”.
This is great. I am always inspired by people that have achieved their goals… Congrats on the weight loss, and keep up the great work 🙂
Thank you Tanya.
Oh, this is a great list! My local farmer’s market is selling a lot of watermelons, so I will be grabbing myself one! I need to drink more water, ugh.
This is great information. I had no idea that watermelon reduced bloating. Will be adding this to my grocery list when in season 🙂
Thank you Chrystie. Yes, watermelon has great benefits and the most importantly is that this delicious fruit helps in bloating. 🙂
I didn’t know that yogurt is good for bloating. Thanks for the tips i suffer from bloating so this list helps alot
Hope you feel better soon Janella and this article helps you.
Natalie @ A Fit Philosophy says
Great tips! I love almost all the items on this list too!
Thank you Natalie.
This is such a good list. I’m going to go get some watermelon tomorrow, oh, and cucumber!!
I am sure you are going to feel a lot better after eating these foods. 🙂
This is the perfect post for me, thank you! I definitely have a problem with bloating and I have always kinda known why. I am going to pin this and make the changes. Thanks again.
I hope you get some relief soon and this articles comes handy to you.
This is so helpful! Will have to keep this in mind 🙂
These are so good to know! I know I don’t drink enough water, but keep trying to get better at it. I can definitely add more cucumbers and berries to my diet though – love those!
I am glad this article is helpful to you. I would highly suggest you drink enough water to help you release toxins from the body. One great way to remember drinking water is to put an alarm and log your water consumption. 🙂
I’m heading out to the grocery store now and have add your reccomendations to my list. Thank you.
Go for it Mary. These food definitely help me in my bloating days. 🙂