Never exercise on an empty stomach to avoid loss of energy and low sugar levels. Exercise on an empty stomach also hinders metabolism to kick start correctly. Often, a question comes into our minds as what to eat before a workout. For a regular one hour work out a proper balance of carb and protein is necessary for good stamina throughout your exercise routine.
Here are some of the listed items that should be included into our diet as Energy Foods For Pre – Workout Routine :
1. Smoothie – fresh homemade smoothies made from fresh and natural ingredients and no additional sugar is my preferred pre – workout snack mostly because it balances the sugar, carb and protein in the body very well along with keeping me accurately hydrated throughout my exercise regime.
2. Banana – Surrounded by myths this fruit has tremendous potential in providing maximum energy with its good carbohydrate and natural sugar to the body thereby being a great source of potassium.
3. Oatmeal – if you plan to work out during the day oatmeal is a perfect breakfast because it is high in fiber and it’s a whole grain that keeps you full longer and provides you with required stamina.
4. Egg whites – it is difficult to digest a whole egg due to its high cholesterol egg yolk but if you include only egg whites in your diet it would provide your body with high quantum of protein and no fat along with tremendous energy.
5. Yogurt snack pack – yogurt is another great pre – workout snack that provides you with a balance of protein, calcium, fat and minimum carbohydrates and energizes you immensely with its natural sugar. Yogurt parfait with fruits or yogurt topped with fruits and nuts can also be consumed but just give a gap of at least an hour before your exercise routine. Greek yogurt should be preferred for your pre – workout snack because it has higher protein content than the regular yogurt.
6. Apples with peanut butter – Great as pre – workout snack this food is high in fiber, vitamin A and protein along with balanced sugar to bring your stamina at its peak while exercising.
7. Nuts and dried fruits –unsalted nuts like almond, macadamia nuts, Brazilian nuts, and walnuts provide you with high protein and are good source of energy with balanced carbohydrates. Raisins, cranberries and figs are also some the preferred pre – workout snacks to regulate your sugar requirements before vigorous exercises.
Remember whatever snack you chose, eat something before any exercise to maintain a right balance of nutrition in your body. By eating you help your body to lose more fat and gain more muscles. Always give 45 – 60 minutes gap after eating a snack and before exercising. And last but not the least always hydrate yourself sufficiently with water.
Health tip of the week
“Eating right before your workout is important to lose weight efficiently”.
Heather Johnson says
All of these ideas are simple and tasty!
I love oatmeal for breakfast before a workout, I wait about an hour after I eat to workout making sure I drink plenty of water also. I am going to try some of the other foods you suggested to.
Thank you Chauntel for stopping by. Its a great idea to wait about an hour if you plan to eat whole grains.
Lisa Martens says
Great tip and great list of fuel up foods. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Lisa.
Christy D. says
My mom used to give us pasta right before Tae Kwon Do class sometimes. Bad plan. I hate working out on a full stomach.
I agree Christy, exercising on a full stomach may cause stomach ache and lethargy as well. There has to be the right portion of snacks and right time gap for an effective workout.