This scrumptious Dry Rub Tofu with Spelt Elbows is an Italian fusion with a variety of flavors in every bite. Its a casserole dish to be enjoyed all year round. It’s nutritious, protein packed and satisfying family dinner.
Spelt is an old world grain which comes from a wheat family and yet it is not wheat. Spelt has fewer calories than wheat and is higher in protein. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. Spelt has been a favorite of Europeans for many years.
Ingredients for Dry Rub Tofu with Spelt Elbows
Crushed chili flakes
Extra firm tofu
Red and green bell peppers
Spelt elbow pasta
Vegan mozzarella cheese
How to make this Dry Rub Tofu with Spelt Elbows
Firstly I marinaded tofu witht he spices and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
In my second step I heated oil in a non stick pan and sauteed the veggies in it.
Then, I seasoned it with salt and ketchup.
Thereafter, I layered the baking dish with tomato mix, then, pasta and then tofu. Subsequently, I added a second layer of everything.
Afterwards, I topped it with vegan mozzarella cheese.
Lastly, I baked it in the pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes or until done.
now, simply enjoy your family dinner.
My other popular casserole recipes are:
Habanero Parsley Tofu Curry Casserole
Broccoli Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole
Its a family friendly dish which you may make ahead and refrigerate. Simply re-heat in the oven and serve.
I am sure you all would enjoy it as much as we did. Its quite regular in my home.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your cook food photo.
Dry Rub Tofu with Spelt Elbows
for the marinade
- 2 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 14 oz extra firm tofu ( pressed, drained and chopped into 1 inch cubes)
For the pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 whole yellow onion (thinly sliced-lengthwise)
- 1 whole green bell pepper (thinly sliced-lengthwise)
- 1 whole red bell pepper (thinly sliced-lengthwise)
- 6 roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 1/2 cups cooked spelt elbows/macaroni pasta
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl combine the marinade ingredients and toss it well with a spoon making sure that each tofu pieces are well coated with the spice mix. Cover and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a baking dish by greasing it well.
- In the meanwhile, heat oil in a non stick pan and saute garlic in it.
- Add onion and saute until translucent. Then toss in green and red bell peppers.
- Add tomatoes and cook covered until tomatoes release its juice and are mushy. Then, add salt and ketchup. Mix well and turn off the flame.
- In the prepared baking dish spread the first layer of half of tomato mix. Then add another layer of pasta and followed by marinated tofu. Repeat the layer again with the remaining tomato mix, followed by pasta and marinated tofu. Lastly, top it with vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Place the dish at the bottom rack of the oven and bake it for 25 minutes. Now, shift it to the middle rack and bake again for another 5 minutes or until cheese melts nicely.
- Turn off the oven and take it out. Serve hot.
- This recipe tastes best when served immediately. Refrigerate the leftovers for about a week by just covering it with aluminium foil. Microwave when ready to eat.
- I have used spelt flour pasta here but you may use any elbow shaped pasta of your choice.
Leave a Reply