These moist and chewy Cherry Oats Squares with Macadamia Nut Icing and Blueberry Sauce is simply yum! Its made with healthy and delicious vegan ingredients.
I have been experimenting some dessert recipes for July 4th and trying various natural and healthy color combinations to suit the wonderful occasion.
Keeping health and the National day holiday in mind I finally came up with Cherry Oats Squares with Macadamia Nut Icing and Blueberry Sauce.
How to make Cherry Oats Squares
The name of the recipe might sound a little long but trust me it’s a very simple yet delicious dessert with lots of health with which you will never go wrong.
I know the usual july 4th recipes have the combination of strawberries and blueberries and the usual white cake but as per the theme of my blog and my passion for being creative along with keeping health in mind I decided to play around with cherries and oats and baked them.
Simple isn’t it?
How to make Macadamia Nut Icing
Since I chose my dessert to be vegan and low fat or you can say I wanted to add healthy fat and keep it low in calories I chose macadamia nuts for the icing. MMMMM. I couldn’t believe that macadamia icing tasted so much better than the regular icing.
It was the most delicious icing I have ever had. It was super easy to make and in fact I made three batches of just the icing. One for me of course, one for this recipe and one separate batch for my toddler. We happily licked the icing all day. 🙂
How to make Blueberry Sauce
Now comes the blueberry sauce, I know it’s everyone’s favorite and the most desired and that’s the reason I decided to finish this dessert with blueberry sauce. This isn’t a traditional blueberry sauce since I prefer quick recipes so with only three ingredients I cooked the blueberry sauce within minutes.
How to make Cherry Oats Squares with Macadamia Nut Icing and Blueberry Sauce
I was super excited for the presentation part of this dessert 🙂 . But I kept it very simple by spreading the macadamia nut icing with the help of the butter knife on the baked cherry oats and poured the blueberry sauce evenly over the baked square. Then, I gently cut into square pieces and served.
Cherry Oats Squares with Macadamia Nut Icing and Blueberry Sauce will definitely bring a smile on your face and make your celebrations even more exciting. 🙂
Its best to use this sauce the same day. However, it can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about a week.
Yes, it’s not very thick. It has perfect consistency for topping this baked square.
This oatmeal dessert is a hybrid of a cake and a brownie. It is high in fiber and not overly sweetened. I have tried using fruits to sweeten it and minimum sugar. Also, I have use as minimum oil as possible. Therefore, these oatmeal squares are healthier.
You may also like:
- Vegan Carrot Cake with Oat Flour
- Vegan Mocha Oatmeal Cookies
- Raspberry Glazed Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Walnut Cookies with Blueberry Jam
- Blueberry Semolina Porridge Parfait
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Cherry Oats Squares with Macadamia Nut Icing and Blueberry Sauce
- 2 cups deseeded cherries
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
For the icing
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts (soaked overnight)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 drop of lemon juice
- Small pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
For blueberry sauce
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 400 Fahrenheit and prepare a 9 inch square baking pan by greasing it lightly. Heat a nonstick pan and add cherries, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the flame and let it cool. Once the cherries are cooled crush them roughly in the grinder/food processor.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the squares including the blended cherries and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the square baking pan and shake it a little to shape it according to the pan. Place the baking pan in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
- Combine all the ingredients for the icing in a food processor and pulse it smooth until light and fluffy. (For about 3-4 minutes). Refrigerate the icing immediately until ready to use.
- Heat a nonstick pan and add the entire ingredients for the blueberry sauce to it.Mix, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Then with a food masher roughly mash the blueberries. (Let few pieces of berries be as is). Pour the sauce into another bowl and refrigerate it until ready to use.
- Take out the baking pan from the oven and let it cool completely. Take the baked square out of the pan on a flat surface. Now with the help of the butter knife spread the macadamia icing on it and then spread the blueberry sauce evenly on it. Cut into square pieces and serve at room temperature or cold.
- Measure the cherries after removing the seeds.
- The batter of the Cherry Oatmeal Squares would be of a thicker consistency and the color would be beautiful red.
- Bananas are used to substitute eggs and as well as to avoid additional sugar. You may use 3 large eggs in the recipe and adjust the sweetener by adding ¼ cup maple syrup to the batter or as per your taste.
- Soak macadamia nuts overnight for softening and creamy texture.
- These squares can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Well this looks dang delicious! I was super excited about how yummy this looks!
Yanique Chambers says
This looks like a delicious and patriotic treat!
Allison (funfamily.vacations) says
Beautiful presentation. I bet this was really good! Pinning to try in the future!
I love macadamia nuts! I definitely agree that the celebration will be much better with these delicious looking treats.
OH, those are so pretty! Just perfect for 4th of July!
Thank you Leslie.
Brooke Knipp says
I’m always so impressed when people can come up with something like this! It looks beautiful and even more delicious. I’m going to crave this all day…
Thank you Brooke!
Justine Y @ Little Dove Creations says
Goodness, it looks so gorgeous and sounds delicious! I love berries, yum! This seems like a great, unexpected dessert. 🙂
Thank you Justin.