This typical fall Apple Pumpkin Soup with Caramelized Onions is the best comforting food this season. Its vegan and gluten free along and made with easily available ingredients. Its a perfect one bowl meal for any weeknights.
It makes my heart go wild and can’t stop singing as the rain pours outside my window and fall colors all around me I enjoy this Apple Pumpkin Soup with Caramelized Onions.
Ingredients for Apple Pumpkin Soup with Caramelized Onions
Pumpkin pie spice
Crushed black pepper
Red onion (thinly sliced)
How to make Apple Pumpkin Soup
- In the first step I boiled the vegetable broth in a saucepan.
- Next, I added chopped apples, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, black pepper, thyme and salt.
- Thereafter, I let it cool and then blended it smooth.
How to make Caramelized onion
- In the first step I heated olive oil in a nonstick pan.
- Then I sauteed onions until soft and translucent.
- Thereafter, I added the rest of the ingredients to it and cook again for few minutes.
- Once done I turned off the flame.
Assembling of Apple Pumpkin Soup with Caramelized Onions.
I re-heated the soup and ladled it in a serving bowl. Then gently topped it with caramelized onions and let it float.
Its fall everywhere and I see the fall colors outside my window so I had to match my set up with those beautiful orange, yellow and some fire colors along with some pumpkin orange. It was so much fun while arranging these colors and capturing in my DSLR. It’s so lovely and beautiful! I like it 🙂
If you are pumpkin crazy like me then you would like these as well:
Frequently asked questions:
- This soup can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for 2-3 days.
- However, it tastes best when served immediately.
- For best practice – make the soup ahead of time and refrigerate. Just when ready to serve , caramelize the onions and reheat the soup. Assemble them as per the instructions and enjoy.
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comment section below and rate the recipe also. You may also tag @kiipfit on Instagram and I will definitely shout it out there.
Apple Pumpkin Soup with Caramelized Onions
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped apples
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- In a saucepan bring vegetable broth to a boil.
- Add apples, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, black pepper, thyme and salt and let it cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes or until apples are very soft.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- In the meantime heat oil in nonstick pan and add onions to it. Spread the onion evenly throughout out the pan for even cooking. Cook onions until translucent and shiny.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar to it and toss well. Cook until nice shiny dark brown in color.Turn off the flame and remove the pan from the heat.
- Once the soup is cooled blend it smooth in a blender.
- Just before serving, warm up the soup again and top it with caramelized onion and enjoy.
- This soup can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for 2-3 days. However, its best if the onions are caramelized just before serving.
- Regular vinegar can also be used to caramelize the onions.