Is your digestive system off? Do you feel bloated most of the time? Do you want to avoid eating all types of food? Is your digestive system restricting your fun activities? Well, many of us suffer from digestion problems and this problem increases as we cross 30s and grow older. But the good news is that there are some natural ways to help improve our digestive system and reduce the risk of unwanted chronic illness.
Here are 6 natural ways to help improve the digestive system:
1. Water, water and water. I am stressing on hydration as my first point because even if we all know the importance of water we still fail to sufficiently hydrate ourselves. We have to find ways that work well for us and for me I found that if I log my water intake for the whole day I become conscious of my water intake and could improve on my hydration. You can log in a diary or there are many free apps available in your tablets/phones which will help you with monitoring your water consumption thereby helping you hydrate yourself adequately.
2. Exercise. Its goes without saying that exercise in any form is the solution to most of our physical and mental problems. So irrespective of our busy schedule, we should make an effort to find at least 30 minutes every day and spend on improving our health. There are many yoga forms which are specially meant to improve digestive systems like Bitilasana, Trikoasana, Adho Mukha Savasana and many more. If you are not into yoga you may just do some cardio like light jogging, brisk walking, and aerobics and so on….
3. Eat more fiber. Fiber can be consumed in many forms. Include vegetables and lots of fresh fruits into your diet. Fruits like watermelon, apples, papaya, berries, pears have immense fiber in them and will help in your bowel movement. Eat salads with lots of greens. Eating raw salad leaves will give your body lots of roughage and help in your bowel movement.
4. Remember to chew your food. Sometimes, when we are in a rush or super hungry we forget to chew our food properly and swallow them instead. This puts off our digestive system thereby causing gas, stomach ache, and constipation. Each time we put food into our mouth we must remember to chew our food enough for our digestive tract to easily digest and function as required.
5. Reduce stress. In today’s world stress has become our part of lives, but too much stress is causing many health issues including digestive disorders. It is very important for us to manage our stress and reduce it so that it does not affect our health as much. Meditation helps in reducing stress. Indulging in some hobbies also helps in distracting our minds, staying away from our laptops/computers helps our mind to rest and reduce stress. Everyone has their own way to reduce stress be it reading or playing sports but we all should make an effort to reduce stress to help the digestive system function normally.
6. Achieve healthy weight. Overweight and over eating causes pressure on our digestive system thereby restricting its normal function. We should strive to achieve healthy weights by eating right and healthy, portion controlling, exercising, and eating the right calories and sufficient protein.
A Healthy digestive system makes life easier and happier. It will keep you away from many chronic health conditions, will make you feel lighter, will take care of bloating, and moreover help you with your normal weight thereby keeping you active.
Health tip of the week
“Improve your digestive system naturally and live happier and healthier”.