This easy and quick Vegan Cottage Cheese is a perfect substitute to the traditional ones. Its high in protein and other nutrients along with being versatile. Simply spread over your toast or serve it with fruits or just snack on it at any time of the day.
Since, I innovated this recipe I am probably the happiest person. Earlier cottage cheese used to be my regular spread on toast for breakfast. Its been a while that I started missing it. Therefore, I came up with vegan cottage cheese and totally love this version.
Ingredients for Vegan Cottage Cheese
Apple cider vinegar
Extra firm tofu
Tofu – I used two different variety of tofu to give it the exact texture that we usually get in the store. With silken tofu I formed its smooth base. With crumbled extra firm form I made it look bumpy.
Almond milk – I used it to give it a base. You may use any dairy free milk of your choice but almond milk is low in calories and hence, I went with it.
Nutritional yeast – Even though I have a small quantity of it but this gives a nice cheesy flavor to this recipe making it taste more authentic and closer to the traditional one.
How to make Vegan Cottage Cheese
Firstly, I bought about 1 cup of water to boil and put cashew nuts in it. I let it boil for 2 minutes and turned it off. Immediately I drained it and let it cool down completely.
Secondly, I combined all the ingredients in a blender (except crumbled extra firm tofu) and blended it smooth.
Next, I spooned it out in a serving bowl and stirred in crumbled tofu.
Later I let it rest in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes for it to settle and thicken a bit.
Lastly, I served it over my toast and enjoyed it thoroughly.
I found the easiest and quickest way to enjoy my old favorite cottage cheese
- If you are in a hurry you may cool down cashew nuts under cold running water and blend all the ingredients.
- Make sure to follow the measurements to get the exact taste and flavor of this recipe.
- Even though you can eat it immediately, I found it that if I let it rest for 15 minutes it tastes better and the texture is thicker as well.
This recipe can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about 2 weeks.
This recipe is definitely low in calories and high in protein. I have used a variety of tofu here. I used cashew nuts but in a very small quantity just to give it the right taste and a thicker base. Cashew nuts have good fats so therefore, this cottage cheese is a bundle of nutrition.
You may use any dairy free milk of your choice.
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram because we would love to see what you cooked.
Vegan Cottage Cheese
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts (boiled and drained) – see notes
- 1/2 of 14 oz silken tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup crumbled extra firm tofu
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender (except crumbled tofu) and blend it smooth.
- Spoon it out in a bowl and stir in crumbled tofu.
- Let it rest in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Take it out and serve it with fruits or over toast.
- For cashew nuts – bring about 1 cup of water to boil and put cashew nuts in it. Cook at high for only 2 minutes. Turn it off and drain. If you are in a hurry cool them down under cold running water or let it come to room temperature.
- Use any dairy free milk of your choice.
- Store it in an air tight glass container in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.