Homemade vegan French Onion Dip Recipe is made by caramelizing onions and whipped into creamy and flavorful cashew cream and perfectly spiced. Its easy and can be made ahead of time and is a definite crowd pleaser!
I have been craving for an onion dip since a while. In my endeavor to bring out the exact original and traditional taste I have been working on this recipe for a quite some time. Finally, after innumerable practices and lots of efforts especially with the taste testing, I came up with this French onion dip that my entire family simply loved it.
I felt the satisfaction in my first bite and the sense of achievement. It felt so much of a comfort food to me and somehow, I managed to bring it in the right time as well. Now that all the festivities are about to begin this vegan onion dip is definitely a desirable party dip.
Therefore, here I am sharing my new creation with a healthier twist but with the same traditional taste:
Ingredients for French Onion Dip Recipe
Apple cider vinegar
Dairy free milk
I have used all these easily available ingredients in this recipe which you may buy from any local grocery store. However, I have provided links to few of them for your convenience.
If you plan to buy from those affiliate links, then I get a small commission which in turn encourages me to bring more delicious recipes for you all.
- Onions – it’s the main hero of my recipe. Even though I have used red onions but any kind of onions works here.
- Vegetable broth – this gives a nice flavor and aroma to this recipe instead of just plain water. This also helps to avoid oil or added fat.
- Cashew nuts – this gives a subtle sweet taste to this recipe which is required since I have not used any added sweetener here and yet this dip tastes salty, tangy and sweet. It so similar to the traditional ones in taste and flavor.
- Nutritional yeast – it adds vitamin B12 and also provides a subtle cheesy flavor to this dip recipe.
- Mustard powder – it gives a nice strong mustardy taste which compensates the taste of mayo or cream cheese here.
- Paprika – I used it to give this recipe a hint of spice in a sweet subtle way.
- Onion powder – this substitutes the requirement of onion soup mixture since I made this vegan onion dip recipe from scratch.
Therefore, to conclude its an easy and quick recipe with delicious flavors.
However, if you are looking for a variation then I like this one from Simple Veganista where she has included Tofutti sour cream in her recipe.
How to make French Onion Dip Recipe
Firstly, I combined all the ingredients to be caramelized in a saucepan and cooked at medium-high flame until all the liquid was absorbed. Then, I turned it off and removed from heat. Next, I let it cool down a bit.
Secondly, I blended all the other ingredients in a blender until this mixture was creamy and smooth.
Next, I spooned out the blended cashew in a mixing bowl and stirred in the caramelized onions.
Thereafter, I refrigerated it for about 20 minutes and then served it.
We totally went crazy for this dip. It was so perfect and tasty that we finished off the entire bowl. My family wanted more so I made it again the following day.
I make this quite regular for any get together and so I would insist that you get started with this homemade onion dip recipe so you and your family can have the same pleasure like us.
- You may boil cashews in water for few minutes if you are short of time. Or else you may soak cashew nuts in hot water for about an hour. This soaking process helps in blending and makes the mixture creamier.
- I have used red onion for this recipe which we liked but you may use any onion of your choice. Just make sure to chop them as finely as possible.
- I would recommend not to add salt in the blender. Once all the caramelized onions are mixed into cashew mixture adjust the salt while stirring to get the required salty taste of your choice. This way you might want to add less salt as compared to when blended.
I am sure you may be having all the ingredients in your panty so what are you waiting for? Get started and make it right now. I am sure you don’t ant to miss out on the lip-smacking flavor. Moreover its quite fancy to serve Homemade French Onion Dip.
This can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about 2 weeks.
I made it absolutely oil free. Moreover, I cooked the onions in vegetable broth which in turn provides it more nutrition of the veggies to this recipe. I used raw nuts to add other vitamins and minerals. Also, I used herbs and spices to flavor it further. Therefore, it is definitely healthier than the traditional one.
Traditionally, it is made with a combination of sour cream and onion soup mixture which makes it a high calorie dip. However, I have made with this homemade onion dip with healthier ingredients and a vegan version so most of us can enjoy it.
It has a caramelized taste with chunky onions along with being salty, creamy and mildly tangy with a hint of sweetness.
You may also like:
Vegan Queso Cauliflower Dip
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
Fire Roasted Jalapeno Dip
Vegan Sour Cream
Other recipe ideas that you may like to pair this vegan French onion dip with:
Spicy Beet Burger
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Air Fryer Crispy Broccoli
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram with your recipe images because we would love to see what you cooked.
If you desire to explore more delicious recipes of mine then you may checkout my cookbooks.
French Onion Dip Recipe
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
To be blended
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts (soaked in hot water and drained)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- In a sauce pan combine the ingredients to caramelize and let it cook at medium-high flame until all the liquid is absorbed and onions are nicely caramelized. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- In a blender combine all the ingredients to be blended and blend it very smooth.
- Now, spoon out the blended mixture in a mixing bowl and stir in the caramelized onion to it.
- Mix it and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and serve with your choice of veggies, chips or crackers or use it as a spread.
- While soaking cashew nuts if you are in a hurry you may simply boil them along with the water for few minutes and then cool them down. Or soak them in hot water for about an hour. This process helps in blending well.
- I have used red onion in this recipe but you may use white or yellow onions as well.
- This recipe makes about 2 cups and the serving size is roughly about 2 tbsp.
- This recipe can be refrigerated in an air tight glass container for about 2 weeks.
Oh my gosh – this is so smart! French Onion Dip is always a hit at parties, whether with veggies or with chips. Such a terrific idea to make it using cashew cream – such a big nutritional upgrade and terrific flavor, too!
This Homemade vegan French Onion Dip Recipe was awesome! I loved all the wonderful flavors and it just got better and better after I let it sit overnight. I will be sharing this link with a few friends! I really enjoyed it.