Butternut Squash Barley Vegan Cookies are packed with the goodness of seasonal fruit and healthy grains. These are perfect to satisfy the sweet cravings at odd hours. They are so nutritious that they serve well as a pre – workout snack.
These Butternut Squash Barley Vegan Cookies are absolutely stunning with surprising delectable taste. Moreover, it is low in calories and carbohydrates and packed with vitamins and minerals.
Butternut Squash is technically a fruit but it is mainly used as vegetables most of the times. It is at its peak as of now and absolutely versatile.
What is barley flour?
I have never used barley flour before in my cooking. However, as far as my memory goes my mom introduced me to barley flour when I was a kid. Moreover, in olden times, in India, barley (powdered form) was used as a medicinal ingredient to cure simple digestive problems.
At that time I never thought that barley could be used for such delicious desserts as well.
I have tried barley pilaf earlier and its a great satisfying recipe which my family loves and craves often.
Health benefits of barley
In my attempt to use barley flour, I learnt a lot about this nutritious and healthy grain. Barley helps in maintaining healthy weight. It also helps in managing blood pressure along with being a good source of manganese. It is also very versatile and tastes well in many recipes.
The soft and chewy yet delectable treat is absolutely desirable. These barley cookies are super easy to bake. The only trick to these cookies is to cook very well for longer time at a lower temperature.
I got a chance to get these taste tested by my in-laws and they loved it.
Hence, I am here to share this awesome butternut squash barley cookies recipe with you today.
Ingredients for butternut squash barley cookies
I have used these easily available ingredients which you may buy from any local grocery store.
butternut squash – make sure to use fresh chopped squash. You may buy the whole butternut squash and chop it yourself or get pre-cut ones. However, frozen does not work well here. So, therefore, make sure to get the fresh ones.
flaxmeal – this needs to be pre-soaked so plan out well in advance.
barley flour – its easily available and gives a very distinct chew tastes to these butternut squash cookies.
For detailed measurement of ingredients, please scroll down to the printable recipe card.
How to make Butternut Squash Barley Vegan Cookies
Firstly, I boiled butternut squash in just enough water and then I drained it.
Secondly, in blender, I combined the cooked squash along with maple syrup and vanilla extract. Then, I blended it smooth and kept it aside.
Next, in a large mixing bowl, I combined barley flour, baking powder and salt.
Thereafter, I folded in squash puree along with soaked flax meal into the dry ingredients and mixed them well.
Afterwards, with the help of a cookie scoop I placed the cookies on the prepared cookie sheet.
Lastly, I placed the cookie sheet in the middle rack of the preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
These cookies rose very well and looked beautiful. Finally, I found my new favorite dessert to satisfy my ever demanding sweet tooth.
- Most importantly, make sure to pre-soak flaxmeal well in advance because its texture should be jelly like sticky.
- It is important to bake these cookies well even if it takes a bit longer to make sure that there is no raw taste. Hence, make sure to test them properly after 40 minutes and bake for extra minutes if needed.
They tastes best the same day. However, refrigerate the leftovers for 4-5 days. Re-heat in a toaster oven for 4-5 minutes. Cool and enjoy.
They have a distinct barley taste which is chewy along with a hint of squash texture. These are not overly sweetened and soft and fluffy from inside.
Yes! These cookies are low in calories and high in fiber along with being low in carbohydrates and fat. They are packed with many vitamins and minerals and works great as after school snack or as a pre-workout snack.
My other healthy vegan cookies that you may like:
This post may contain affiliate links. So, if you click on those affiliate links and also make a purchase I get a small commission. However, I share only those products which I personally use and love.
Where to find me?
Did you make it?
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please leave your feedback in the comments below along with a 5-star rating.
Butternut Squash Barley Vegan Cookies
- In a saucepan combine butternut squash and enough water to cover it. Cook until squash is soft and mushy. Turn off the flame and drain butternut squash. Let it cool.
- Preheat oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit and prepare a cookie sheet with a parchment liner.
- In a blender, combine cooked and cooled butternut squash, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Blend it smooth and keep it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine barley flour, baking powder and salt. Mix it well with a spoon.
- Now add the blended butternut squash and soaked flax meal into the dry ingredients. Whip it well with a spatula.
- With the help of an ice cream/cookie scoop pour about 1 tbsp. of the batter onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies in the middle rack of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until slightly brown and well-cooked from inside. Take out from the oven and let it cool completely. Enjoy them with a glass of milk.
- Baking time for these barley cookies may vary depending on the oven and the liner of the cookie sheet. If your cookies take longer time than 40 minutes then bake it for extra 10 minutes. Make sure the cookies are baked very well from inside or else barley flour may taste raw.
- These tastes best the same day. Refrigerate the leftovers for 4-5 days. Re-heat in a toaster oven for 4-5 minutes. Cool and enjoy.