This creamy and nutritious Sriracha Butternut Squash Amaranth Soup is bursting with flavors! It’s healthy, gluten free and protein rich.
This heavenly soup is made with fresh butternut squash, amaranth grains and spiced with sriracha powder mix. Now that sounds like a perfect fall soup.
This soup will not only make you feel warm and cozy but satisfy your belly with its deliciousness. This soup is a bowl of exquisite taste and plentiful health. The added amaranth grains not only makes this soup filling and a wholesome meal but it is also a nice addition of protein and fiber.
Health benefits of Amaranth grain
Amaranth is a superfood loaded with protein and lysine. (Lysine helps in absorbing calcium and build muscles which is essential in a plant based diet). This grain also boosts immune system and many essential vitamins and minerals.
How to cook amaranth grain?
It’s super easy to cook amaranth. Just bring water to a boil and add amaranth grains to it. Then, let it cook until all the water is absorbed. It will have a porridge texture and is a chewy grain. However, when mixed in with the soup the grains fluff and make the soup super desirable and satisfying.
Sriracha Butternut Squash Amaranth Soup is super easy to make and takes only about 20 minutes to be served. It’s a perfect meal for anytime of the day and even for week nights.
How to make this Sriracha Butternut Squash Soup
- Firstly, I heated vegetable broth
- Secondly, I added chopped butternut squash, basil leaves, fresh tarragon and let it cook until butternut squash was soft enough to be mashed.
- Once it cooled down I blended the soup.
- Lastly, I spiced it up with sriracha powder and folded in cooked amaranth.
- Afterwards, I poured in some unsweetened coconut milk and salt.
I simply loved it. This soup is specifically beneficial to fight the flu season because of its nutritional content.
This soup is a meal in itself and can be made ahead of time. Simply refrigerate it and warm it up when ready to devour.
It’s a perfect family meal. However, for kids you may adjust srircaha powder as per taste or add paprika to make it less spicy. Also, if you plan to skip spice altogether then crushed black pepper would also taste great.
Sriracha Butternut Squash Amaranth Soup
- 1/2 cup dry amaranth grains
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped fresh butternut squash
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- handful of fresh tarragon herb
- 1 tsp sriracha powder seasoning
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack)
- Salt as per taste
- In a saucepan boil water and add amaranth. Cook uncovered until all the water is absorbed.
- In another sauce pan heat vegetable broth. Add butternut squash, basil, and tarragon and cook until butternut squash is cooked and is soft.
- Let it cool and blend the soup smooth. Pour back the soup in the same saucepan again on a low flame. Add cooked amaranth, sriracha powder mix and coconut milk.
- Warm it up and serve it. Enjoy!!!!
- For kids you may skip sriracha and add crushed black pepper to make it less spicy.
- You may make ahead amaranth and refrigerate. Use it in the soup when ready.