This aromatic ‘Paneer and Farro Casserole is a delicious meal with all the Indian spices that give it an Indian flavor. Mixed in a creamy cashew gravy and yet cream-free, this recipe with the addition of traditional Mediterranean grain Farro is a complete and wholesome meal.
My husband is so fond of paneer/cottage cheese that he demands it every day.
Since I mostly cook low calorie meals with lots of nutrition, good carbs and healthy grains, I wanted to make a paneer dish that is absolutely healthy. Hence, I created this dish. It’s easy to cook and is a one pot dish. It requires no baby-sitting and the best part is that it is oil free.
Ingredients for Paneer and Farro Casserole
Ginger Garlic paste
How to make this Paneer and Farro Casserole
Firstly, Combine nuts and spices in a food processor and grind it smooth.
Secondly, add some water to make it a thick paste.
Thereafter, start layering the veggies in the baking dish.
Afterwards, place it in the pre-heated oven and bake it for 35 minutes.
Lastly, take it out and enjoy immediately.
Whether it’s a working day, or a weekend. Whether I am cooking for my family or for guests. Whenever I cook this recipe I get extra hugs, extra love and extra praise from my family.
I have become so addicted to these emotional rewards 🙂
If you get a chance to make this recipe then please your feedback in the comments below along with the ratings. In addition, you may tag @kiipfit on Instagram .
Paneer and Farro Casserole
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 2 cups cubed paneer
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1/4 cup julienned carrots
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit. prepare a baking pan by greasing it slightly.
- Combine cashew nuts, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds, garam masala, chilli powder in a food processor and grind as fine as possible. Then add milk and water and process again into a smooth paste. Take this paste out in a bowl and then mix in the salt properly.
- In a baking dish layer it with ¼ cup of the ground paste. Put a cinnamon stick in the middle of the baking dish. Add another layer of onions and then tomatoes.
- Add another layer of paneer and then again spread another layer of farro.
- Lastly, layer it with the remaining cashew nut paste. Top it with carrots.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil properly and put it in the below most rack in the oven. Bake it for 35 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- Combine dry farro and water and cook until farro is soft. No oil or salt required while cooking farro.
- I used raw unsalted cashew nuts to maintain the calorie of this dish and yet add nutrition to it.
- Add water and milk after grinding the cashews and the spices together to get the thick paste like consistency.