Vegan Feta Cheese with Chickpea Flour
This Greek flavored Vegan Feta Cheese with Chickpea Flour has a perfect salty, savory along with a tangy taste to it. It’s a great dairy free substitute made with some unique combination of ingredients. Its gluten free, soy free, nut free and oil free.
Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper and keep it aside. In a saucepan combine water and chickpea flour and whisk until there are no lumps.
Whisk in nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, pink salt, oregano, basil, dill, black pepper and mix until well blended.
Place the saucepan on a medium flame and whisk continuously until it starts to thicken. Just at the first boil pour milk and cornstarch. Quickly whisk until there are no lumps. Turn off the flame and mix in vinegar and lemon juice.
Now,before this mixture starts settling down quickly pour it in the prepares loaf pan. Place it in the middle rack of the pre-heated oven and bake it only for 10 minutes. (Do not over bake). Turn it off and take it out. Let it cool down at room temperature for 15 minutes in the loaf pan itself. Then place it in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes or until it cools down completely.
Now, take it out and flip over on a flat surface. Slice gently into cubes and enjoy it.
- Once the mixture cooks it starts to settle down very quickly so keep everything ready.
- This feta cheese is absolutely different from the store-bought ones but I guarantee it tastes almost the same and better. Its consistency would be slightly different too but when combined in a salad it tastes amazing. I have also tried it eating as it like a snack and loved it completely.
- To make it absolutely gluten free I have used gluten free cornstarch.
- Make sure to use chickpea flour/garbanzo flour for this recipe and not besan. These are two different ingredients and the taste and texture of this recipe might vary if those ingredients are interchanges.
- This cheese can be refrigerated in an air tight container for about a week.
Calories: 46kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2394mg | Potassium: 594mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 290IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 4mg