Vegan Papaya Black Bean Salad
This sweet and spicy Indian flavored Vegan Papaya Black Bean Salad is a perfect go to lunch. This versatile salad is easy to fix and serves well as a side for dinner. My family enjoys it as a dip or salsa with some tortilla chips.
For the dressing
- 1/2 of whole small ripe papaya (peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp black salt/Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp dry roasted cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- Salt as per taste
For the salad
- 1 15oz can of black beans (washed and rinsed)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 of whole avocado (chopped)
- 1 whole jalapeno (chopped)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3/4 tbsp lemon juice
In a blender combine all the dressing ingredients and blend it smooth. Keep it aside.
In a mixing bowl combine all the salad ingredients except for lemon juice.
Now fold in the papaya dressing to the salad.
Lastly, add lemon juice and toss gently but very well.
- Black salt is easily available in Indian store. However, you may substitute it with Himalayan pink salt.
- Make sure to use dry roasted cumin powder.
- Feel free to adjust the measurements of the seasonings as per your taste.
- If you like the fresh sweet flavor of papaya feel free to use the whole small papaya in the dressing. But make sure to adjust the seasonings accordingly.
- You may blend the dressing ahead of time and refrigerate it. Then toss it in the salad when required.
- The dressing stays good for a day in an air tight container.
- If using this salad as a side the nutritional value will change.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Vitamin C: 2.8mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.3mg