– 2 tbsp olive oil – 1 tsp cumin seeds – 1 tsp Hing/asafetida – 1 bay leaf – 1/2 inch cinnamon stick – 4 green cardamom pods – 1 dry red chili (broken) – 1 cup chopped onion – 1 tsp crushed ginger/ginger powder
– 1 tsp minced garlic (fresh/dried) – 1/2 tsp turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp chili powder – 1 tsp garam masala – 3/4 cups rinsed chickpeas (soaked ) – 1/2 cup water – 1 cup rinsed long grain brown rice – salt to taste – 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
– Turn on your instant pot at sauté mode and heat oil in it. Add cumin seeds, asafetida, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and break one dry red chili in it. Mix it roughly.
– Sautee onion, ginger and garlic in it until onions are translucent.
– Add turmeric, chili powder and garam masala to it. Mix well.
– Add soaked chickpeas along with its water and pour ½ cup more water in it and stir well.
– Toss in brown rice and salt. Stir well.
– Cancel the sauté mode and close the lid. Seal the valve and turn it on at manual high for 25 minutes. Once done, release the pressure and open the lid. Fluff the pulao, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.