Herbed Cashew Cream Tempeh Crostini
Herbed Cashew Cream Tempeh Crostini is not only healthy but is packed with flavor and outstanding taste. It’s very easy to make and is a perfect party appetizer.
For Cashew Cream
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup water
For Tempeh Stuffing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 1 8oz pack original tempeh (roughly chopped into big pieces)
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- Salt as per taste
- 12 slices of multigrain artisan bread
In a blender combine all the ingredients of cashew cream and blend it smooth. Keep it aside.
Boil water in a saucepan and drop big pieces of tempeh. Let it cook for few minutes. Drain and crumble tempeh.
Heat oil in a pan and add garlic. Let the garlic turn brown then add crumbled tempeh. Sautee and cook covered until tempeh turns golden brown.
When tempeh is properly cooked add chopped parsley and red bell pepper. Cover and cook again 2-3 minutes.
Turn off the flame and add salt. Mix and keep it aside.
Place the bread slices on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degree Fahrenheit until bread slices turns golden brown. You may also place the bread slices in a toaster oven and toast them until golden brown. (Before placing the bread slices if desired oil brush the bread slices for a beautiful brown crust of the bread).
Take out the bread slices and top them with tempeh stuffing and drizzle cashew cream generously.
- Any bread of your choice can be used but this recipe tastes best with multigrain artisan bread.
- The cashew cream has a subtle tangy yet salty taste. It is versatile dip so the leftovers can be refrigerated in a glass jar and drizzled over any recipe or enjoyed as a dip as well.
- The stuffing and the cashew cream can be made ahead of time. Just before serving toast the bread slices and serve as per the instructions above.
- This recipe makes 12 crostini pieces and the serving size is 2 crostini per person.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 10g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 51mg | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 16.8mg | Iron: 0.1mg