Eggplant Stir Fry
This vegan Eggplant Stir Fry is a flavor bomb. Its salty, spicy and sweet in taste along with the health benefits of veggies. It serves as a great weeknight main course when served over steamed rice.
- 1 medium regular eggplant (not Chinese eggplant)
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (cut into medium sized square pieces)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (cut into medium sized square pieces)
- 10 fresh basil leaves
Rinse and pat dry eggplant. Chop it into medium sized square pieces.
In a mixing bowl combine chopped eggplant and cornstarch and gently mix so as to coat each piece.
Heat oil in a nonstick pan and sauté eggplant for 10-15 minutes on medium-high flame. All the oil would be absorbed which is normal. Make sure that eggplant does not stick to the bottom so sauté frequently until dark brown and cooked through inside. Eggplant should be soft but not mushy.
In the meanwhile, combine all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Keep it aside.
Toss in green and red bell peppers to the cooked eggplant. Mix well for 2 minutes making sure to not overcook or break eggplant. Add 10 basil and gently mix for only 20 seconds. Do not let basil leaves wither.
Now, fold in the sauce and gently mix. Let it cook at medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Eggplant should acquire the color of soy sauce.
Turn it off and garnish with sesame seeds and more chopped basil leaves. Serve with steamed rice.
- Make sure to buy regular eggplant which should be small-medium in size. If your eggplant is large the measurements would need to adjust.
- Make sure your eggplants have no brown spots on its skin and should be shiny.
- While sautéing eggplant make sure to use a flat spatula to lift them from the bottom and flip them completely to the other sides. This helps in better sautéing without breaking.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1261mg | Potassium: 179mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 717IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg