This wholesome Tofu Sandwich is packed with flavor and nutrition. It is a complete meal with the essential macronutrients. It’s a hearty and healthy vegan lunch idea that everyone will enjoy!
Preheat oven at 400-degree Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with a parchment paper. Place tofu block between kitchen towels and put a heavy weight on it for at least 10 minutes. Drain the extra water and slice tofu length wise into 8 steak pieces (¼ inch thickness each). Keep it aside.
In a mixing bowl combine nutritional yeast, paprika, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Mix well.
Now, take a tofu slice in your hand and coat it well with the marinate from all side. It should be a thick coating. Turn the piece gently to all the six sides making sure its well covered with the marinate.
Place it immediately on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the above process with the rest of the tofu slices. Feel free to sprinkle leftover marinate if any on the slices.
Bake it in the middle rack of the oven for 20minutes. Take it out and with the help of the spatula release each tofu slice gently from the bottom without breaking. Then, with the help of the tongs flip all the slices to the other side. Make sure the marinate still sticks to them. Bake again for another 10 minutes. Turn it off and take it out. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
In the meanwhile, toast the bread and spread vegan thousand island dressing on one slice and hummus on the other slice. Place baby spinach on one slice and two tofu slices. Place chopped or sliced tomatoes followed by sliced avocado. Cover it with the other slice of toast. Press it a bit to make it form and cut with it into 2 halves with a bread knife and enjoy!
- Stove top option: heat 2 tsp oil in a nonstick pan or grease it with cooking spray. Place marinated tofu slices and cook at medium flame until golden brown in color from the bottom. Gently flip each slice with the help of spatula/tongs and cook again until golden brown in color. When done, take them out with the spatula and assemble in a sandwich.
- Air fryer option: place marinated tofu slices in the air fryer basket and attach it to the air fryer. Turn it on at 375 degree for 15-20 minutes or until the slices are firm and golden in color. When done, take it out and let it cool a bit. Then, refrigerate or assemble in a sandwich.
- The cooked tofu can be refrigerated in a covered container for about 2 weeks. Simply microwave or toast them when ready to assemble in a sandwich.
- You may use sliced tomatoes and sprinkle some salt as per taste. I personally like to finely chop tomatoes in a small bowl and mix in salt and black pepper. Then, I let it sit for 2-3 minutes until it releases its juice and acquires a nice flavor.
- This recipe makes 8 slices and the serving size is 2 slices per sandwich.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 435mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1164IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg