Sweet and Sour Tofu
This easy Sweet and Sour Tofu is a healthier and flavorful Chinese entrée that is made vegan and is way better than takeout. It is well complemented with veggies and sautéed in homemade sauce thereby giving it a nice balance of sweetness and tangy taste.
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions (big square pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (big square pieces)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (big square pieces)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- salt as per taste
Prepare sweet and sour sauce following the link provided and keep it aside. In a mixing bowl, combine tofu, cornstarch, ginger, garlic, salt and black pepper. Toss it gently without breaking tofu and keep it aside. (Make sure each tofu piece is well coated).
Heat sesame oil in a nonstick pan or a wok and place each tofu piece. Let it cook until its golden at the bottom and gently flip over all the pieces with a flat spatula making sure that they don’t break. Let it cook again until golden from the bottom. Then, keep flipping all the pieces to other sides until its golden from all sides. This will make them crisp and firm.
Then, toss in onions, and bell peppers and mix gently.
Fold in prepared sweet and sour sauce along with vegetable broth, 2 tbsp. vinegar. Mix nicely and let it cook for 2-3 minutes at medium flame. Do a taste testing and adjust salt. Turn it off and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve hot with quinoa/rice.
- For pressing tofu – take a dish with high sides and place a thick layer of kitchen towel. Place the tofu block on it and cover the top with more kitchen towel and then place something heavy on the top. Let it press for at least 20 minutes. If you have time press it for 30 minutes. Then, drain the water and chop into small square pieces.
- You may make sweet and sour sauce ahead of time and refrigerate it. Use it when ready.
- Refrigerate the leftovers of this entrée for about 1 week. Warm it in microwave thoroughly.
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 60mg | Potassium: 49mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 101IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg