These oil free and sugar free vegan Banana Brownies are fudgy and chocolatey in every bite. It's soft, chewy with a crunchy texture from walnuts. It’s a perfect snack or dessert to satisfy the sweet cravings in a healthier way.
Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare an 8 inch square baking pan by first greasing it and then sticking a parchment to it. In a large mixing bowl mash 3 bananas with a fork or a food masher.
Add soaked flaxmeal to it and beat it with a hand electric mixture at low speed (about 1 minute).
Add maple syrup and vanilla extract to it and beat it again with hand electric mixer (about 30 seconds). Pour almond milk to it and beat it again for 30 seconds.
Add cocoa powder and coffee powder to it and beat it at medium speed with the hand electric mixer for about 4 -5 minutes or until cocoa powder blends in well.
Now, add whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Beat it for 1 minute at low speed with the hand electric mixer.
Lastly, fold in chopped walnuts and mix well with a spatula.
Pour this batter at the center of the prepared baking dish. Tap it a bit so that the batter spreads evenly in the pan and top it with crushed walnuts. Gently place the sliced banana on it and place the baking dish in the middle rack of the oven. Bake it for 35 minutes. Once baked, take it out and let it cool down at room temperature. It might be slightly undone at this stage which is normal. Let it cool down at room temperature for 15 minutes. Gently pull out the parchment paper along with the brownies and lay it on a flat surface. Let it cool down for 15 minutes more minutes at room temperature. This will help settling down the brownies. Slice and enjoy as is or with vegan vanilla ice cream.
- You may whip up the batter with a spatula but electric hand mixer helps in bringing out the best texture of its batter. Also, its quicker and easier with hand electric mixture.
- You may use oat milk, hemp milk, cashew milk or any milk of your choice except for coconut milk.
- Maple syrup may be substituted with brown sugar.
- Whole wheat flour may be substitute with all purpose flour if desired.
- Over ripe bananas are not need for this recipe but they should be ripe with brown spots. Or else the sweetness may vary since I have used minimum maple syrup here.
- Try to soak flaxmeal before starting with the recipe. It should be soaked well and should float at the top. If it still sediments in water or sinks down then stir and let it soak for some more time until it thickens.
- This recipe makes about 9 large brownie slices or 16 small brownie slices.
- I have provided the nutritional information for 9 slices. The nutritional info for 16 small slices would be would be - calories: 97 fat:3g carb: 8g protein:2g.
Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 69mg | Potassium: 400mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 31IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1mg