Vegan Lemon Bars
These oil free Vegan Lemon Bars are zesty, tart and a sweet dessert. Its crispy crust is made with almond flour and flax meal then filled with gooey curd. It’s simple and bursting with tangy flavors along with the perfect balance of sweetness.
Preheat oven at 350-degree Fahrenheit and prepare an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. In a food processor combine all the crust ingredients and grind it until the dough starts to stick to each other.
Spoon it out in the prepared baking dish and press it with your hands shaping as per the baking pan. Make sure the dough sticks nicely to each other and yet its shaped properly. Cover all the sides with the dough and seal the edges nicely.
Place it in the middle rack of the oven and bake it for 15 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned. (do not over bake or else the bottom will burn).
In the meanwhile, in a saucepan combine all the filling ingredients and whisk it vigorously making sure that there are no lumps and no sticking at the bottom as well. Turn it on at high and continue whisking vigorously until it starts to thicken. As soon at it starts to thicken remove from the flame and continue whisking.
Take out the baked crust without turning off the oven. Pour the cooked filling on it and spread it evenly with the spatula. Place it again in the oven and bake it for another 20 minutes. (do not overbake).
Once done, turn off the oven and take it out. Let cool completely then slice and enjoy as is or garnish with powdered sugar.
- This recipe makes 9 big slices and the serving size is 1 bar per person.
- Powdered sugar is absolutely optional. However, if you garnish it with powdered sugar the nutritional value will vary a bit.
- The curd filling should be thick but pouring consistency. So, at the soon as it starts to thicken remove from heat but continue whisking until it settles down in its consistency.
- Do not over grind because the crust should be crumbly but ready to stick to each other.
- While pressing the crust on the prepared baking sheet use hands for the best results.
- Make sure to use the coconut milk from the tetra pack which comes in a package just like regular milk. We do not want a very coconutty flavor of the filling and want to keep it light.
- To make it gluten free make sure to use gluten free cornstarch.
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg